Nessies are back ...................Darn it............caught four, more to go!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States

Attachments

• 3B98CB48-0326-4D68-97BC-3D5638653C7C.jpeg
    3B98CB48-0326-4D68-97BC-3D5638653C7C.jpeg
    269.3 KB · Views: 41
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I see they like to school so more than a few orfes in my near future.

lmao I should have typed Hubby just said lets go get fish. He brought it up first, I just told him I agree!
yea yea nice try you ain't getting out of it that easy

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How are the new fish settling in ?
Swimming happily, well they seem happy lol. I would have put some in the 1000 gallon tank, but they don't have the escape ability that the big pond fish have ie from the snakes.

A lot of lil pigs they eat hand fulls of food. Sure add a lot of activity to the pond and color. I think someone spawned almost as soon as put in. They were attacking the base of the 1000 gallon waterfall rocks, around 25, even coming somewhat out of the water. Of course right where nessie comes down from the other pond to get into the big pond. I am tempted to get more lol.

No floaters everybody lived. I only need to drive 20 minutes after picking them up.

I did read nessie loves tadpoles. I have tons of them.

I have some beautiful black and white, etc shubbies I hope they don't become a snack. The ones that are home grown larger fish.

I have a minnow net and minnow trap coming to see if I can relocate them. I read to put in some minnows and or some meat to attract them. Need to leave the trap partially out of the water so you don't drown the snake. There is a farm pond near us, that is where nessie will end up living, if caught.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I've also seen videos of an egg being used as bait in a minnow trap partially submerged.

Your pond can certainly handle more fish, I say go for it :)

I'm finding my pond so much more manageable this year without the bog. I'm pretty sure we used too powerful a pump in our bog, leading to high pressure and friction in the pipes, which burst them. We were too busy to investigate last summer with grandchild on the way, so lots of fish waste just sucked into the bottom of the bog :(

I'm loving the floating planters. All the plants over wintered well, they're pretty and doing well so I imagine their roots are helping filter the water.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well nessie # 4 showed up a baby, no wider than a pencil, about 8 inches long, living in the bog currently eating tads and whatever else it catches.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
As you would say UT OH! Hmmmmmmmmmm, this is getting unfair, too many snakes and poor fishies. Sad for them. Hope you can catch them all! I bet there is more as don't snakes have a lot of babies?

Ask a Question