Nessie's back!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
She made her first appearance the other day, although the chilly winds today have her back in hiding.
Nessie's back 02.JPG

Nessie's back 01.JPG

Once things warm up a bit more, we're planning on relocating her this year. She did a number on the frog population last summer & will be even bigger (ie - hungrier) now. We also have a couple baby fish that we're planning on hanging onto to see how they grow & they'd be the right size to be on her menu as well. I will miss seeing Nessie almost every day, though.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
She made her first appearance the other day, although the chilly winds today have her back in hiding.
View attachment 148750
View attachment 148751

Once things warm up a bit more, we're planning on relocating her this year. She did a number on the frog population last summer & will be even bigger (ie - hungrier) now. We also have a couple baby fish that we're planning on hanging onto to see how they grow & they'd be the right size to be on her menu as well. I will miss seeing Nessie almost every day, though.
Is she poisonous? Hope not! We don't have big snakes around here, just Garter Snakes fortunately. I know nothing about telling the difference between safe and poisonous ones.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Is she poisonous? Hope not! We don't have big snakes around here, just Garter Snakes fortunately. I know nothing about telling the difference between safe and poisonous ones.
No, she's just a young Northern Water Snake. We have all sorts of snakes here. Only venomous ones I usually see are the Copperheads (we relocate those, too!)

Cichlidboy

Dandridge TN cichlids not goldies
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
No, she's just a young Northern Water Snake. We have all sorts of snakes here. Only venomous ones I usually see are the Copperheads (we relocate those, too!)
I love snakes I don't kill any. I really dislike me some spiders though they give me the willies

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't know if our nessies will return. The huge one was eaten, the two small ones just disappeared, mid summer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I don't know if our nessies will return. The huge one was eaten, the two small ones just disappeared, mid summer.
We started out last year with two, this one & another the exact same size, but the second one disappeared early in the summer. Not sure what happened to her.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
VERY COOLLLL
i have two red shoulder hawks that have taken up residency over the pond daily. I believe this is why the snake sightings have lessened

Cichlidboy

Dandridge TN cichlids not goldies
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
VERY COOLLLL
i have two red shoulder hawks that have taken up residency over the pond daily. I believe this is why the snake sightings have lessened
And fish as well if your not careful I got a old Tom cat that knows all about red tale hawks. tallons had him cut pretty bad and set up infection that has been a pain to get rid of

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have lot of red shoulder / sharp shinned / cooper's hawks. Always flying around landing on the dead maple to hunt. Also a few falcons, they are fast.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
No no no I walk away don't even get close enough to kill them
I once ran through a parking lot on vacation trying to save a great big spider from getting squished by the cars while hubby ran behind me yelling, NO, NO, NO, STOP THAT, THAT THING WILL KILL YOU
1648403256208.gif

Ask a Question