netting to prevent koi from eating hyacinth roots

Reaction score
we've created a 8 ft. ring out of 3/4 inch tubing to keep the water hyacinths corralled. Koi are eathing all the roots. Any ideas what we could use to prevent this that the Koi couldn't chew through or eat and choke on or that contains any crummy chemicals that could be harmful.

Reaction score
One time I made a small ring to protect the hyacinths.
I used a small black inner tube and bronze tinted screening
that I strung around the inner tube. Filled it with hyacinth and it
looked great.

Then one day I went out and in the middle of the tube -- a Koi was
laying flat and gasping for air.

He jumped in I guess, and couldn't
get out. I rescued him tossed him in the pond and tossed the ring
as well... just wanted you give you guys a heads up on the dangers
of these rings.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
C&J....how deep was your ring? make it deep enough for the fishes safety if thats a concern,and not with netting use rigid plastic fencing like i did. and at 8' round like DR&W is talking , just go 1' foot deep and if one jumps in it'll be fine..i have never had a fish jump in mine and i use them 3 at a time, the only fish in mine are the fry that can easily swim thru the mesh of the fencing.

rdk

Reaction score
I had the same problem with my pond cover. Last week I found one goldfish stuck between the top wire and and the heavy plastic coated link fencing. Lucky he was stuck under the waterfall so he was alive when I freed him. What I did was to rewire the top fence much tighter to the bottom. The top fence deters herons while the bottom fence keeps racoons out. If I removed the fence my racoons would be feasting very very soon. RDK

Reaction score
Koiguy, I used a small innertube probably 12" - 15" round, and the netting was maybe
about 5" to 6" deep at most...If a little fish jumped in there, he would probably
be ok, but we have mostly big koi, 24" to 26" from nose to tail end.

Now we just keep the hyacinth in the pond for a few days then we take them out
and alternate them between the bio pond and the main pond. This is the way we keep
them from getting totally distroyed.

Our koi don't seem to bother the water lettuce, that fairs pretty well in our pond.

Ask a Question