New addition to my son's pond.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
My son moved to a new home about a month ago, it has a small natural pond about a acre in size that is stocked with small perch, a few bass, and some channel catfish. and now it contains a new addition. I'm not sure just how well the fish in the pond will fair but it should be intresting to see. We found in a small creek near their house and there used to be a larger one in the pond for several years that moved on. Not something I want in my pond but intresting to see him swimming and feeding. We have fed it a couple of times already and it now comes to the bank for a treat and doesn't mind people being around at all. Although it doesn't allow anyone to get to close anymore. LOL I think he's gotten a little coonass in him from somewhere....Hmmmmmm

Attachments

• gator 033.JPG
    gator 033.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 298
  • gator 024.JPG
    gator 024.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 337
  • gator 027.JPG
    gator 027.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 334

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Funny that you posted that pic of a gator. I was thinking of you this morning b/c on the news they had a story where a lady found a gator in the middle of her driveway, she has tried to get someone to take it with no luck, she even tried the zoo. It is rather small, they had it in what looked like a 10 gallon aquarium. I was thinking if you lived close by you could take him...

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Todd, where did you see that? LINK? I could possibly help. If it's somewhat local. We got permission from the Wildlife and fisheries to move this one and the landowner gave the OK. We also have another place where a small would would be welcomed and be safe from harm or hinder.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Anything that can eat me for dinner is not welcome as a house pet. I will enjoy them out in the wild, thank you :rolleyes:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
and coming from the woman who sucked on a fake alligator head LMAO
Anything that can eat me for dinner is not welcome as a house pet. I will enjoy them out in the wild, thank you :rolleyes:

Reaction score
That is awesome!

I have a very small stock dam on the property here, it is difficult to get to and very small, but I think it is very deep, or at least it was at one time. The river here flooded and I captured about 20,000 baby bullheads in a slew. I transplanted them into the pond to see if they would live, but I also put one baby gar in with them, just to keep them all honest. LOL

Your son's gator won't keep the fish in the pond honest, they are going to LIE, LIE LIE! I would , too... To keep from being eaten! Ha Ha.

Gordy

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
he has two ponds on the property, the one in the front is way over stocked with small perch but also has about 200-300 5#-15# channel cats in it, the back pond where he put the gator has perch, bass, and catfish. we have been catching a few of the over stocked perch from the front pond and taking them and feeding the to the gator, he was coming up to eat but a few days ago after it cooled off quite a bit he's just been sunning on his claimed log by the dam. We caught about a 10-12 pound catfish the other morning and he's now well lets just say, he made it to the supper table.. :surprised: .

Reaction score
Larkin,

I bet he was a welcomed "guest" at the dinner table. LOL

My favorite catfish is the flathead catfish or Pylodictis olivaris. Also called a yellow cat, mud cat, pan head or shovelhead catfish. This is the fish that I go fishing for most often. They have gorgeous white meat and I have had people mistake the meat for walleye because it is that good.

Most people think that catfish are bottom feeders or trash fish. They are seriously mistaken in all accounts and especially with flathead catfish. Flatheads are one of the true predatory catfish species in North America and they are sort of in a class all their own.

Channel catfish and Blue catfish are opportunistic feeders, meaning to say that they prefer live fish for sustenance, but will eat anything, dead or alive or even something rather foul smelling! Flathead cats not only prefer LIVE prey, they would rarely dine on anything else. They are not bottom feeders in any sense. They can also put up one hell of a fight on the end of your line.

I target the 8 to 16 pounders, but often catch them in the 40-60 pound range. I release these large specimens for two reasons. They are good breeding stock and they are a pain to clean if above 16 pounds. The largest ever caught on hook and line in Nebraska was 80 pounds or so. I haven't got close to that record yet, but have caught some between 45 and 55 pounds and have done that quite often.

Gordy

Ask a Question