New arrival NOT EATING

Reaction score
This is a beautiful Gin Rin Platinum. He was delivered on Sat. by next day air and seems to be in great shape. Not showing any signs of stress other than NOT EATING He is from a very reputable Koi Farm and it is their policy not to feed fish for a day or two before shipping. I followed all direction in getting him acclimated to my water as far as temperature, PH and other waters concerns. Any ideas, I have tried (Very small amounts) grapefruit, orange slices and a few small pieces of Romaine and of course my Koi Food. I will call Koi Farm tomorrow and ask for ideas. They may say this is normal. Anyone have any ideas! Tank is covered with a net to prevent jumping maybe I need to cover with something for him to hide under, but he does seem aggrevated or shy. Please help I will be up All night worrying and checking on him:)

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
koi will ofien take a few days before eating and/or being social after being introduced into a new enviroment. dont panic, he's likely just getting aquainted with his new home.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Like Koiguy said give him some time to get use to the new water

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Sharon is he on his own in QT at the moment ?
Try adding a comapanion fish as koi dont really do well on their own , if this doesnt work add a little garlic extract to his food .
Garlic seems to stimulate their appitites , if its still a non no after this then check for parasites .
Just because its a reputable firm doesnt mean that they dont have parasites Sharon

Dave

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
My koi love the high quality dog food made fresh right here in Alberta, that I feed my puppies, grain free dog food, no koi can resist doggy food! Been feeding my 22 year old koi, dog food for over ten years and they all appear to do very well on doggy food! :)

Attachments

• IMAG3340.jpg
    IMAG3340.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 233
  • IMAG3341.jpg
    IMAG3341.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 254
  • IMAG3343.jpg
    IMAG3343.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 264
  • IMAG0475.jpg
    IMAG0475.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 260
  • IMAG0476.jpg
    IMAG0476.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 202
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
They certaily do look healthy that i'll admit but reading the advanced koi books I have you really need to know what is going on inside them .
In that they are building up massive amounts of fat if you saw the Atopsy photos of them you may well want to think again about feeding them puppy food .
I did an Autopsy on a friend Matt's fish whom he bought from a kind hearted lady such as yourself in was a beautiful fish but on the plump side,
A few weeks after he'd put it in with the main population he found it in distress with obvious swim bladder problems eventually it was decided to Euthanize her because she got worse not better.
The fat had totally enveloped her intestine her overies and had pushed everything up inside of her impacting on her swim bladder which had burst, so she had no chance of recovery .
I'm sure I posted the photos on another thread so I wont download them again but dog food is for what it says dogs and koi food s for koi

Dave

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Well my old fish are still alive and well, none appear extremely fat or look abnormal looking, and as a matter of fact most people are amazed at how big and strong they are, and I swear my big orange koi is so strong that she could pull a small child into the pond when she sucks on their hands! Our winters are harsh here, and now we are back down to about minus 25 Celscius right now, and I think the fat and protein they get from my super fresh high quality dog food helps them survive the extreme cold here, and we already have seen minus 40 below twice this season.

The problem I have with the fish food, is that it is OLD in most cases around here and over priced! My high fat puppy chow is fed to my old 9 year old puppies too. Matter of fact, we all eat a high saturated fat diet around my house and puppies and family look good and we all work very hard at work too. After careful examination of both the koi food and puppy chow, I believe that the quality of nutients in the fresh local made puppy chow is of better quality than the stinky old fish food any day. My Koi won't even eat fish food anymore and turn their nose up to it and swim for the puppy chow instead. When I feed them the puppy chow all the fish in the other two downstream connecting ponds can smell it and the smell drives them into a feeding frenzy! Makes hand feeding easy to cause the koi really love dog food. :)

I follow no one and I "blaze my own trails" and do things "my way". After 22 years of wintering koi here in Canada, my friends and family are amazed at my great success, and my koi are all VERY healthy. Lots of other "koi" people I have known in this town, over the years cannot say the say the same, so I must be doing something right! :)

Reaction score
Dave he is the Q Tank with two Goldfish who call that tank home. He came from Hawaii and Kodama Koi screen and quarantine for three weeks (Miscroscoping). He is beautiful and I need to figure out how to post pictures. I am going to try Garlic today. No KHV/SVC !
As Always
Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
All koi are routiinely tested for KHV here in th UK Sharon I cant say about where yours came from?
SVC normally comes about by keeping wild carp in with pet koi and is a spring virus as in its name Spring Viraemia of Carp and as such shouldnt be a worry to you .
KHV is a major problem in the Pacific and many other Far eastern countries Indoneasia, Malaisia, and many other countries where there are no such checks, (as a South African koi keeping friend found to his cost when his entire pond was whiped out).
But as long as the company you bought this koi from test then thats a garentee .
Here in the UK both these viruses are defra notifiable i;e Government Farm and Fisheries but here in the UK the koi dealerships have formed an assocciation which garentee's hat all koi are checked for KHV, we do however still get it.
We had an outbreak in Plymouth last year in my friends Uncles pond however these koi were bought via eBay where there is no such garentees or controls, such a shame too as it whiped out a long held koi collection bought over many years..
As Koiguy has said you sometimes get koi who wont eat but eventually start , it may be that the water where your koi came from was either Hard of soft water and the water where you live is the opposite i;e the koi isnt used to yours just yet .
Weve had this , I bought one koi from Yeovil Somerset brought it back to Plymouth and it instantly shed its colour , the problem .....well we found out it was the water in Somerset from the area we bought it from, why ???....it turned out that they had hard water we had soft .and it basically didnt like our water..
So instead of a yellow and white koi we ended up with a white koi permanently , it didnt eat for a week and had us just as worried as you are now.
Did you say you have a microscope ?... do you know how to take a scrape I think I remember explaining things to you a while back ?
If so do a scrape and elliminate Parasites from the equasion or if you find them treat the koi then it will at least give you a peace of mind that you are doing the best for this koi .
All in all try not to worry ...

Dave

PS cant wait to see the photo which if you use the full editor will give you access to your photo's to post them

Reaction score
I wouldnt worry either. Some fish get all sorts of crabby when they are moved. I moved 4 small single tail goldfish from an over stocked 75 into a 40 of their own and none of them have touched food for a few days. unless they do it after I leave... but I do see uneaten food around the tank.

Ask a Question