New at this pond lark!

Reaction score
We moved last july and have inherited a great garden, with a small stream and pond.

The previous people had it put in a maximum of 4 years years previous and obv in that time, we dont think they looked after it, as a little while after we moved in, i used the net that was left and scooped into the pond and outcome rotten leaves and it wasnt too pretty, so cause neither me, nor my mum or dad have looked after a pond before, which is abundant in frogs and newts/salamanders, we wernt sure what to do.

So my dad put net over it when leaves fell, to keep the worst out, apart from the odd few that came down with the little stream.

The frogs went mad through feb and soon covered the pond with frogs spawn.

And the past couple of days dads realised the pond seems a bit oily and alot of the frogs spawn has dissapeared and its smells quite bad.

He did use the net today right down to the bottom and actually found half a dead frog and was pulling out so much foul smelling muck that i felt awful for the frogs and anything else in there.

My dad wants to do a full clean out, empty it, sort out the bottom, see to the pump etc cos the state of it makes it seem like its never been done.

But im sure i read winter is the time to do the full clean, or is it still ok to do it now? And if it is, whats the best tips for cleaning it out and we still have some frogs spawn and obv quite a few frogs, newts and salamanders.

So any advice would be greatly appriciated and anything else to look out for thats good or bad.

Also what to do with the plants in the pond?

Thanks and if you read all that, wow hahah also i got pictures of the pond if you wanna see them
But thank you!

Stacey
x

Reaction score
welcome to the site...i agree with drdave...get something to put the live stuff in while you clean it...sounds like you have quite a job on your hands...but once its done it will all be worth it

Reaction score
Re:

After draining the pond where will be all that muck left in the bottom.
A rubber dust pan and a soft broom works great in removing the bulk of the muck.
And that ever is left or is hard to remove try a wet/dry shop vac for the remainder.

Reaction score
thanks everyone, we're planning it this week, so will tell my dad what you've said

theres a fair bit of life in the pond, so it'll take half the time making sure all the creatures are safe

Ask a Question