New build raised formal/ ornamental pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7 (apparently!!)
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All, I'm a newbie pond person and I thought I'd share some pics of our slow but sure journey towards our new pond.

The internal measurements are 3.6m by 2m by 65cm deep, surrounded by an inner wall of concrete blocks currently being faced with Cornish slate ( ironically sourced from the other end of the country from where we are, but granite is just too heavy and the stones tend to be quite large). There is a 30cm deep shelf at the far end reinforced to take a rectangular cast stone trough which will have a wall spout filling it from above ( this wall also to be built of slate once the liner is in place). It is in a sheltered spot next to our glass roofed conservatory and currently gets a lot of sun, although the side nearer the house does get shaded earlier in the year when the sun is lower in the sky.

We will also construct brick shelving running about halfway down the pond on each side from the front wall. There will be space behind these to take the pipework from the pump round the bottom edge and up and round the shelf at the back end, feeding into a hole immediately next to where the trough will be in the 'waterspout' wall, being further hidden by plants. The exit pipe from the filter will come out of the same hole and feed round under the trough to the left and then into the pond in the far corner.

I am planning on using the Oase Filtoclear 13000 pressurised filter, because although I realise a gravity filter would be more efficient, I thought this would be an easier way to hide pipework, also, most importantly, because we are close to the house I don't wish to disturb neighbours next door with constant rushing water from a rigid pipe, and with a pressurised unit I understand that I can have the exit pipe slightly below the water surface. (The wall spout will have a separate feature pump I will turn off at night.)

I am planning to install a Blagdon Amphibious Pump 3000 -6000 as I really like the idea of saving money while I need less flow by having the variable power selection! I am also thinking I can then set the whole system to minimum during cold weather. I know this seems a low powered pump for the filter size but my reasoning for it is as follows...(1) I am going to have only 12 or so fish, no koi, plus my beloved sticklebacks of course, and plenty of plants, plus we are in a colder northern region and less likely to get as many algae blooms (2) I really don't want to hear the pump motor all the time or have a huge gush of water, this is going to be my happy peaceful p!ace!! and (3) I want to keep the current low so as to keep the water lilies happy. I'd appreciate any comments on that set up though as I have zero practical experience on all pond matters!!

Thank you all

Stickleback 😊

Attachments

• 20230618_131607.jpg
    20230618_131607.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 20230618_131548.jpg
    20230618_131548.jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 20230618_131642.jpg
    20230618_131642.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 14

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Looks like you have a nice start. I don't think the low flow will be an issue as long as you don't let the fish overpopulate.

Ask a Question