Demolish Pond or rebuild it?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
When I bought the house three years ago, it came with an old concrete pond. It wasn't great but It was fine. However, now it has a leak and I have two little girls under 2. I'm afraid of them falling into the pond and drowning since it's quite deep.

I love the pond, but it is dangerous for the kids and I just don't have the time to maintain the pond. I used to have fishes but they didn't survive the winter. I don't know whether I should just demolish the whole pond or maybe put in a new liner and make the pond less deeper. I can also add more plants to help with the algae growth that usually occurs early spring. I was also thinking of hiring a company to transform it to a pondless waterfall but I don't have the money to do that. What do you guys think? I attached pictures of the pond. We started taking it apart.

Attachments

• Pond 1.jpg
    Pond 1.jpg
    349.8 KB · Views: 21
  • Pond 2.jpg
    Pond 2.jpg
    400.2 KB · Views: 20

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum!

Sounds like you would like to have a water feature without the algae/maintenance issues and dealing with livestock. With the babies, I would lean towards the pondless waterfall/feature/fountain route as the safest. There are less expensive DIY ways to build, such as using milk crates for the void space. https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/pondless-waterfall-build.31858/#post-503565

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'd turn that into a water feature a bubbling urn, or a bowl or two

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Welcome to the forum!

Sounds like you would like to have a water feature without the algae/maintenance issues and dealing with livestock. With the babies, I would lean towards the pondless waterfall/feature/fountain route as the safest. There are less expensive DIY ways to build, such as using milk crates for the void space. https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/pondless-waterfall-build.31858/#post-503565

omg yes, I like the idea of a fountain. The pond is right in front of my bay windows, so I can open my windows and just hear the water running and watch the birds and squirrels come up to drink the water. Thanks for the idea!!

Ask a Question