New Filter ???

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys just looking for a little help. I desperately need a new filter box I have a Fishmate GUV 20000 gravity filter which is just not doing the job, im having to clean the sponges every 2 days as they are proper gunked up.

I've narrowed my choice to a Green Genie 48,000 or a Oasis Clear Pond 50. Anyone have either of these and have an opinion on them, my pond is 1000 gallon with high fish stocks. I have masses of plants and my water readings are spot on but I just want it clear without so much messy maintenance.

Any help would be appreciated thank you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
how many fish and what type do you have in your pond?
Can't help you with the models but is the "gunk" all fish waste or also plants and leaves?
Scaling up will help, but if you're fish load is high, more than average cleanings would be inevitable.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I tend to agree. I could be wrong, but I would think no matter what filter you use, you will still have to clean the sponges often. There is a limited surface area where the gunk will accumulate. Unless you get something with much greater surface area, I can't see how things could change.
Have you thought of going with a bog type filter? There's a lot of info on this site about bogs. They seem to be the best way to go. I hope to switch to a bog one of these days.
Plus, store bought filters are very expensive. You can probably build a bog for the same amount or less.

Reaction score
I have 1000g pond with smallish koi and set up a sand and gravel filter direct pumped and I run it once a week to clean it . Dont have to get my hands dirty

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I have 1000g pond with smallish koi and set up a sand and gravel filter direct pumped and I run it once a week to clean it . Dont have to get my hands dirty
Interesting.
Describe your sand and gravel filter. Is it store bought or something you built? How does it function? Is there a backwash feature?

Reaction score
If you google up a s&g filter you will get the site in building one from scratch or you can purchase a kit that you then plum into a 55 plastic barrel and add the stone.

A s&g filter is basically a plumbed barrel that has layers of stone in it to filter the water. Pond water enters the bottom and is pushed through progressively smaller stones until it reaches the top layer which is made of very course sand or chicken grit. At this point it just gravity feeds back to your pond.

The barrel is also plumbed to have an air line running down to a manifold at the bottom with the stone held above. For cleaning the filter, you just use a small blower ( I use a tiny shop vac) to force air to the bottom of the barrel. The airs runs back up through the stone and fluidizes the top layer... loosening all the muck it’s filtered out. This waste water runs out an alternate waste line. I also have a bottom drain on my barrel so I can flush out any larger materials that have been filtered first.

I hated having to clean my old filter pad set ups. I clean my s&g filter for 3-4 mins each week and refill the pond as needed. With the s&g filter you literally don’t get wet while cleaning it.

What is your pump now? The higher end koi folk have external pumps, bottom drains, and prefilters before their s&g filters.... I on the other hand have the smaller pond so I just use my submersible pump to feed the barrel directly.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I have about 15 goldfish 1 20" koi and 2 huge and I mean huge 2' grass carp, I know its these too that are causing the damage but im loathe to re home them?

Ive never heard of a sand and gravel filter I was hoping by putting some brushes in the filter at the first stage it would grab some of the fish waste and save my sponges but I will look into the s & g option.

You're right shop bought filters are ridiculously expensive but I need something I can hide.

Or do I just rehome the 2 big boys - decisions decisions ….

Reaction score
Now that's a fish load! Grass carp are neat fish.

in regards to hiding the set up... (though you can do this with many filter set ups)... you can plumb the barrel quite a bit of distance away from the pond.. as long as the return output at the top of the barrel is higher then your pond level. So for my set up it is 15 feet away tucked up against a corner of my house... out of site. Assuming your avatar pic is you nice looking pond.... you could have the filter off to the side by the bush/tree line. And run pipes under the sod.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I did think about running the filter away from the pond but it's raised by about 10" from grass level.
I'm thinking now about keeping my existing filter and replacing the foams with brushes then have that running into another filter with sponges and bio media.
thanks for all he ideas.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I did think about running the filter away from the pond but it's raised by about 10" from grass level.
I'm thinking now about keeping my existing filter and replacing the foams with brushes then have that running into another filter with sponges and bio media.
thanks for all he ideas.
219.jpg

Ask a Question