BioFilter Idea

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello Pond dwellers

I have been looking around for cheap biofilter media... And came across this idea and wanted to share with anyone who is looking for biofilter media.

Seeing a big barrel filter with packaging straps for a koi grow out pond gave me this idea.

But I figured if you had cut off any unused extra pond liner when yoi made your pond and didn't throw any away, you could cut that liner into long strips and use it as biofilter. Good surface area, lightweight, and bends to configure. Of course you would have to already have liner lying around.

Saved me money since I have a useless "L" shaped cutout liner that I cut off bc it was overhanging too far off the pond.

Hope it gives others help and ideas.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
This is just my thought and opinion...
Objects with the most surface area are better than smooth surfaced ones. Not to say liner material won't work, but things with tiny holes or creavasses are better. Think of something like lava rock. It has many tiny holes and raised surfaces. More surface area for bacteria growth.
Plus, liner material may clump together or lay on top of each other, while bio balls or lava rocks are kept separated due to their rigidity and shape.

I have heard of people using small diameter PVC pipe cut into very short lengths. Their surface may be smooth, but if you use enough of them, you can accomplish great surface area.

Ask a Question