New found respect for 36"

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
What kind of blocks were you thinking of using
Having a wider 2 ft deep edge around the pond like chilligirl suggested would give you a sturdier bank
And a way to clime out of the deep...
I would set the blocks back 18" to 24" from the deep water

shanezam203

Rookie
Reaction score
DrCase said:
Having a wider 2 ft deep edge around the pond like chilligirl suggested would give you a sturdier bank

I'm ok with that... 18 - 24" from the 4 foot hole. (that just makes the pond wider)

I am not sure how else I am going to make my sides other than my Dad's bobcat. :bowdown: He is going to drive into one of the 8 foot area's and dig down 4 feet & we will hand dig what is needed.

As for the Blocks, would it helps if I use some CEMENT in some of the openings or can things still slip? I was thinking of using compound & even rebar in some places to keep things where I put them over time. thoughts?

chilligirl do you have a picture of your setup? thanks for the help.

shanezam203

Rookie
Reaction score
DrCase said:

I'm ok with that... 18 - 24" from the 4 foot hole. (that just makes the pond wider)

I am not sure how else I am going to make my sides other than my Dad's bobcat. :bowdown: He is going to drive into one of the 8 foot area's and dig down 4 feet & we will hand dig what is needed.

As for the Blocks, would it helps if I use some CEMENT in some of the openings or can things still slip? I was thinking of using compound & even rebar in some places to keep things where I put them over time. thoughts?

chilligirl do you have a picture of your setup? thanks for the help.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
On my raised pond it is 2ft deep all made of block
I did make pour a small footing and mortared every thing...re bar every few blocks and block webbing in the rows
Its a lot of work but it wont move
What are you doing with the extra dirt ?

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
On my raised pond it is 2ft deep all made of block
I did make pour a small footing and mortared every thing...re bar every few blocks and block webbing in the rows
Its a lot of work but it wont move
What are you doing with the extra dirt ?

Reaction score
shanezam, I drove rebar through my landscape ties, and laid them log-cabin style. Very solid - it's not going anywhere. I've heard really mixed things on working with brick/stone. Seems half the folks say you need to have a concrete footer, rebar through it, etc., and the other half says just stack them up and as long as it's not more than 2 or 3 courses high, you're fine...

Here's a couple old pics of my setup - taken last summer. Still a work in progress. That area off to the right will eventually be a second smaller pond, with a bog garden and waterfall. For it, I didn't log-cabin the ties, but they are nailed together on the ends, have rebar driven through them, and also have corner brackets installed on the inside for extra support.
P1080692.jpg

P1000336.jpg

And here's a pic of when I was first building it - gives you an idea of the size of the actual hole and shelves
P1070448.jpg

Reaction score
shanezam, I drove rebar through my landscape ties, and laid them log-cabin style. Very solid - it's not going anywhere. I've heard really mixed things on working with brick/stone. Seems half the folks say you need to have a concrete footer, rebar through it, etc., and the other half says just stack them up and as long as it's not more than 2 or 3 courses high, you're fine...

Here's a couple old pics of my setup - taken last summer. Still a work in progress. That area off to the right will eventually be a second smaller pond, with a bog garden and waterfall. For it, I didn't log-cabin the ties, but they are nailed together on the ends, have rebar driven through them, and also have corner brackets installed on the inside for extra support.
P1080692.jpg

P1000336.jpg

And here's a pic of when I was first building it - gives you an idea of the size of the actual hole and shelves
P1070448.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
In my pond in arizona, we did just 4.5 foot deep straight dirt walls, around 7 years ago, still standing strong.

Here we are doing around 4.5 to 2 feet down, on three sides straight down, with a shelf on two of the three sides, and one side sloping walk out for critters, including the human kind. Hope it does as well!, too late to put in block.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
In my pond in arizona, we did just 4.5 foot deep straight dirt walls, around 7 years ago, still standing strong.

Here we are doing around 4.5 to 2 feet down, on three sides straight down, with a shelf on two of the three sides, and one side sloping walk out for critters, including the human kind. Hope it does as well!, too late to put in block.

Reaction score
shanezam203 said:
chilligirl do you have a top view? Is it L shaped similar to how I want to do mine?

No top view, sorry!

Yes, it is L-shaped. Sort of lol. The main pond, which is 6 feet deep (4 feet dug in, then 2 feet above ground) is the big square you see, and measures 8 feet by 8 feet across. Then the smaller "upper" pond wraps around the corner of the house. You can see in the last pic I posted, that I'd laid down the landscape ties back there to outline it. That pond is (well, will be when it's actually done) above ground only. It's 8 feet by 4 feet and 3 1/2 feet deep. The volume is actually somewhat less than that, as there's a shallower area I built up to make a bog garden before the waterfall where it will empty back into the pond. It's actually *almost* done and would only take a few hours to finish. It's not quite level, so a few boards need to be loosened, shimmed to level, then re-secured. Then liner in (it's been sitting in my laundry room on a shelf for a year), capboards on, pump and hose secured in place, and that's it! However my hubby is not-so-handy and not into the pond except for admiring it (he did help dig that hole though!), and I can't be climbing around just now. It's driving me crazy having it unfinished *sigh*

Anyway, I think you're the poster who was talking about doing an "L" shaped pond that was uniform depth? You'll need to make sure your filter intake is in one end, and output on the other, or have two intakes or something, otherwise only one side/end of the "L" will filter and circulate properly. With my pond, I'm basically using the upper pond as a filter - the first part will be like a settlement chamber, then the bog will act for mechanical and bio filtration before it all pours back into the main pond via the waterfall.

Reaction score
shanezam203 said:
chilligirl do you have a top view? Is it L shaped similar to how I want to do mine?

No top view, sorry!

Yes, it is L-shaped. Sort of lol. The main pond, which is 6 feet deep (4 feet dug in, then 2 feet above ground) is the big square you see, and measures 8 feet by 8 feet across. Then the smaller "upper" pond wraps around the corner of the house. You can see in the last pic I posted, that I'd laid down the landscape ties back there to outline it. That pond is (well, will be when it's actually done) above ground only. It's 8 feet by 4 feet and 3 1/2 feet deep. The volume is actually somewhat less than that, as there's a shallower area I built up to make a bog garden before the waterfall where it will empty back into the pond. It's actually *almost* done and would only take a few hours to finish. It's not quite level, so a few boards need to be loosened, shimmed to level, then re-secured. Then liner in (it's been sitting in my laundry room on a shelf for a year), capboards on, pump and hose secured in place, and that's it! However my hubby is not-so-handy and not into the pond except for admiring it (he did help dig that hole though!), and I can't be climbing around just now. It's driving me crazy having it unfinished *sigh*

Anyway, I think you're the poster who was talking about doing an "L" shaped pond that was uniform depth? You'll need to make sure your filter intake is in one end, and output on the other, or have two intakes or something, otherwise only one side/end of the "L" will filter and circulate properly. With my pond, I'm basically using the upper pond as a filter - the first part will be like a settlement chamber, then the bog will act for mechanical and bio filtration before it all pours back into the main pond via the waterfall.

shanezam203

Rookie
Reaction score
I like your ponds and idea to wrap around the house, goodluck with the waterfall.

Yes I am looking to do an L shaped pond with 2 drains. Something like this is in the making.

Pond1-vi.jpg

shanezam203

Rookie
Reaction score
I like your ponds and idea to wrap around the house, goodluck with the waterfall.

Yes I am looking to do an L shaped pond with 2 drains. Something like this is in the making.

Pond1-vi.jpg

Ask a Question