New found respect for 36"

shanezam203

Rookie
Reaction score
Finally removed the 10x12 shed that was in the area where I'd like my Pond to go; I took the shed down this weekend & created a stencil for where I want to DIG with my Dad's bobcat.

Chililgirl, I am going to use 4x4 posts similar to your landscaping timbers and interlock them on the edges.
I am still digging 4 feet down inside the frame I built as a guide.

I will put the dirt to the left and right + back corner of the pond to build up the waterfall and each of the retaining wall areas on each 16 foot side.

Then I will create the base of the pond out of 4x4 posts, 6 of them every 8 feet giving me 2 feet hight.
Then a 2x6 or 2x8 Cap.

Next I need to move the electrical and remove the 3 tree stumps. Any other suggestions?

IMG_0862-vi.jpg

IMG_0858-vi.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
by the stumps I see there you may be digging through a lot of roots

Reaction score
personally i would not use any type wood for a frame, it checks, warps, moves, rots eventually, discolors, constantly needs staining etc..
retaining wall is good or other similar.

and yeah digging with equipment is the only way. i can't imagine hand digging.. even after i dug with a backhoe i still had tons of hand digging to do

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If your waterfall is that back point of the pond, to get the best surface cleaning you would want a skimmer in each leg.

Reaction score
My pond is sort of an L like that and while 2 skimmers would definitely rock my pond, 1 is able to do the job. I think skimmers are kind of a pain, because they need an open area, if you had 2 you'd have to cut back on plants. With only 1, I only have to have 1 open area. I would hate to have to move plants to make room for another. However in your case, every pond is different, similar doesn't necessarily mean anything, so while I've got a really good surface current that takes everything to my skimmer, any number of things could totally prevent this from happening in your pond. So I guess I would say buy 1, see what happens, if it works great, if not buy the second one.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I only keep mine plant clear during the spring and fall. ow plants do what they want ie grow.

Ask a Question