New group member, and lots of fry;-)

Reaction score
haha... awe.. i thought most start out that way and then develop color.. most of mine did but a couple turned color pretty quickly...

Reaction score
Thanks for all the welcomes, just realized I hadnt said thank you yet:-( So much for multi tasking LOL.

As to the outside babies... will try to get some pics a bit later... I think I counted 18 that we caught and put into a fish tank. Only 4 of them were the ugly brown ones (probably another 10 or so outside yet to catch are the same)... I'm thinking these ugly brown things are just comets. The other 14 however, I *THINK* are koi. Much more streamlined. The bright yellow guy looks like he (or she) has little bumps started where the barbels would be, but I'm half blind, so time will tell LOL. All I know for sure is from the side, they are ALL pretty ugly LOL.

Also, while hunting for the inch long babies outside, we caught four more newly hatched sized fish. Just threw them into the kiddie pool with the hatchlings from the basement pond (same size range). Figured if they were dumb enough to be caught with a 4" fish tank net, might as well grab them now! With so much rock around the pond, there are lots of places for babies to hide/survive, and when possible, would like to keep as much control of the stock level as possible LOL.

Reaction score
Anyone want to take a stab at what these fish are? They range in size from three quarters of an inch to just about an inch and a half... The first picture, I *think* they may be comets??? but wondering if the others look like koi? The pond has mostly standard fin koi in it, but there are a few comets and shubunkins out there as well...

DSCN4170.jpg

DSCN4183.jpg

DSCN4182.jpg

DSCN4179.jpg

DSCN4168.jpg

DSCN4166.jpg

Reaction score
well you got me... not nearly enough experience at guessing... but the good news is as the continue to get bigger it will be easier to determine...lol

Reaction score
LMAO... My husband says the same thing. I tried to research each species we have outside, but I can find very few pictures in this size range. Either way smaller (like hatchlings), or 3+ inches... If I was certain of what was NON-koi, I would post them to craigslist sooner than later to find some homes LOL. My hands are FULL with fish right now. The outside fish seem to be spawning about every other day or so (well, there is new "foam" every few days and all water tests are great), have these little guys in a fish tank, a kiddie pool in the kitchen with god only know how many fry, and a problem in the quarantine pond in the basement... The fish need some serious sex ed classes LOL.

Reaction score
I can so relate to the spawning, i'm like 'would you guys knock it off"...lol i'm part of the blame for putting in the floaters for them to lay eggs in and on... my pond is not nearly as large as yours but i swear i keep seeing new babies.. the fish and bullfrog have kept the masses down, but not enough

Reaction score
I havent put any mops outside, so they are spawning in the water hyacinths or against the rocks that hold the liner in place... just walking around the pond you can see babies, so started catching them while they are still dumb LOL.

If we spot a frog, it is the newest "chicken toy"... We have a couple of small koi that are JUST into the range where one of the bigger frogs could make a meal of it. One was accidently sucked into the mouth of a bigger fish (they were both going for the same piece of food), but it only went in (fit in) as far as the eyes and the bigger fish spit it out. It was funny as hell. It was like the scene from the new Parent Trap movie where the not so nice future step mommy ended up with a gecko in her mouth LOL.

Reaction score
hahaha..... my bullfrog has never gobbled up my slightly larger than fry fishies...and if he did i wasn't able to keep track as they are still growing up...my fear is too many of course and having to try and get rid of them...

Reaction score
oh and i still go back and forth between clear and greenish...can't always see the bottom clearly about 39 inches or so but top half of water is good...although they stir up algae and pieces of wh that they eat

Reaction score
Ours is only a couple months old and was seeded from the original, but it is still a fair amount of water to cycle in full sun with no shade. As long as I can see my fish!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have seen tons of spawning, so far have not spotted one small fish, think the eggs are becoming fish caviar. Which is just fine with me ow we could be totally overrun with fish.

Reaction score
I havent tried to catch anyone today. I probably should get out there and see what I come up with. So far, we've caught 21 that are 3/4" - 1.5" and about a dozen hatchlings. No clue WHAT they are, but oh well. My luck is they will all be goldfish of one type or another LOL.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
My fish spawned, eggs hatched, babies headed for the floating plant rings and then I got the brilliant idea to take the plant ring out as it was collecting scum in it. Noticed the babies so put them in the pond and now I don't see anymore babies. Ok cuz getting close to my limit of goldfish soon anyways. I'm sure there will be more but I know where I can release some at a friends huge pond if I'm over run.

Reaction score
Hubby and I have caught 31 fish so far that are 1" to 2" inch in size, and even figured out what they are:) 13 comets, 1 shubunkin and 17 koi LOL. Oh, and about 2 dozen that are hatchling sized, so added them to the hatchling pool.

Ask a Question