New guy

John Walburg

Met44
Reaction score
Hello all,

My name is John and I have been water gardening since 1998. I have one 350 gallon concrete pond and one 2700 gallon a pond with a liner. This is the first time I have ever participated in a forum. I look forward to sharing with other people who have the pond addiction.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the insanity of ponds, we all love them ow would not have them!

Frogswelcomev.gif

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Welcome aboard John! :regular_waving_emot Your in for a treat then, Tons more information than any one book you can buy, Lots of great ideas from pond designs to filters and plumbing ideas, to plants and how they are planted and sharing the hobby with others that have similar intrest. Hope you enjoy GPF!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi John, Not only are most of us addicted to ponding, but we are also addicted to this forum as well! Welcome and post some pictures when you can. It's always interesting what knowledgeable ponders have created.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome john and I think we will be glad your here so when can pick your brain apart so we can learn what you know so watch out .Can't wait to see pics of your pond and fish and how a concrete pond compares to a liner pond and also what liner you have and how long it has lasted .We always have the debate on which liners are better and whats new out there in liners .20or 45 mil pvc epdm and frog skin and the new thing out there is the billboard kind and so many other new ones I've seen .

John Walburg

Met44
Reaction score
Wow, you guys really know how to make a guy feel welcome. I am excited about sharing with all of you the pond stories I have had over the years, and hearing from all of you, your successes and challenges. My wife is making fun of me because she says I found a bunch of weirdos just like me. I will attempt to give you some background info on my ponds.

I am down loading photos of the construction of my larger pond with a liner to share. The little boy in the picture with me just turned 9 last Wednesday so some of these photos are a little dated. I think that helps you visualize the evolution of this pond. This pond has two drains at the bottom. The drains are connected to 4" drain lines that connect in a 'T' at the middle of the pond and then head out on the north side which then feeds into a 2" line. The pond is approximately 44" deep with a shelf around the edges like a horseshoe with the open end at the waterfall. The skimmer is at the opposite end of the waterfall. I have a nexus filter behind the waterfall. To answer Sissy's question the liner was the best I could find 8 years ago and I believe her assumption of 40 EPDM is correct. I have had absolutely no issues with it.

I realize reading some of your posts that I am very fortunate to live in Southern California where the temperature rarely drops below 40 F and never below 35 F. I admire the dedication and efforts many of you have to endure to support your ponds. I do not have to winter my pond and pretty much mess with it year round. The plants in the pond which are out of control now are taro, papyrus, one small pot of cat tails, sedge palm?, a pot of purple iris, red and green cannas, with some parrots feather and penny wort in the warterfall. Underwater are a couple of water lillies, too much anachris, and another feathery oxyegenator whose name escapes me right now. I am attempting to attach the link below for pictures. Let me know what you think.

John:surfing:

PondPhotos

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It sounds wonderful! looking forward to your pictures.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
John, your photo did not load. Here are the limits.
bmp 146.5 KB - -
doc 146.5 KB - -
gif 146.5 KB - -
jpeg 146.5 KB - -
jpg 146.5 KB - -
pdf 244.1 KB - -
png 146.5 KB - -
txt 244.1 KB - -
zip 244.1 KB - -

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
wow john being that it has been 12 years and your pond is that big you must really have some nice sized fish .Can I bring my fishing pole LOL.For digital cameras I find that you buy the cheap ones pics download easier .Mine is a cheapy

Ask a Question