New House, want to make the pond more natural but don't know what's possible

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a string tied to my pump to keep it suspended about a foot off the bottom. The string also helps to pull the pump out if any maintenance is needed.

If you keep your pump sitting on the bottom, it will probably pick up debris that can settle down there. This debris can clog your pump and prematurely clog your filter.

To remove any accumulated debris, I use a pool net to gently skim the bottom in the Spring and the Fall.
I don't think I can suspend this pump as it has the fountain on top, that would end up wonky!

So is it OK that it was sitting 3ft above the bottom and in the middle of the pond?

I thought it could go lower but the fountain wouldn't reach high enough out of the water. I'd have to buy a new pump/fountain that's tall enough or somehow hope I can find the parts to extent the current one?

Ad

Advertisements

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Can they not be planted in normal garden soil with stones ontop?
Garden soil tends to muck up the water, esp if you have fish. The litter makes a solid type soil around the lliies, a bit of dust floats out when first put in but it goes away fast.

Reaction score
View attachment 131292
View attachment 131293
Hi all!

I've just bought my first home and it has a rather deep pond, I like it and would love to keep it...but I've never even had a garden till now so I'm coming at this like a newbie, not knowing how to develop and look after a pond

I really don't like all of the slate surrounding the pond, at least not taking up as much space as it does. I'd ike to make the pond more natural, but controllable.
I would like grass, flower beds, foliage or something else more natural than that slate taking up so much space.

But i have no idea how or if possible.

Under the slate there appears to be a liner. I can't tell if it's the pond liner or just to stop weeds growing up.

Being new to this what is even possible and how?
I really need a point in the right direction.
If you can think it you can make it. First for now leave the liner be, take out the slate and put in any stone, logs anything that is not made of metal, metal kills fish. AIR SUPPLY FILTER WITH UV CLARIFIER LIVE BACTERIA AND A NET to remove unwanted things in the pond. depending on your climate you will add a little pond salt, natural sludge digesters and the list goes on, DO NOT over populate your pond less is more because these fish can get very large. 14 years ago i started with 4 small fish in a 300 gal pond I now have 4 fish at 24 inches ish, 6 baby's from them and a 1900 gal pond with a water falls IT's A MONSTER THAT JUST KEEP GROWING so go slow experiment and figure out what you like

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hey there, @bostonroadking! I see you joined in 2013, but we don’t know anything about you or your pond. Eight years is a loooong time to lurk, LOL! Why not go over to our “introductions” topic and tell us about yourself.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
If you can think it you can make it. First for now leave the liner be, take out the slate and put in any stone, logs anything that is not made of metal, metal kills fish. AIR SUPPLY FILTER WITH UV CLARIFIER LIVE BACTERIA AND A NET to remove unwanted things in the pond. depending on your climate you will add a little pond salt, natural sludge digesters and the list goes on, DO NOT over populate your pond less is more because these fish can get very large. 14 years ago i started with 4 small fish in a 300 gal pond I now have 4 fish at 24 inches ish, 6 baby's from them and a 1900 gal pond with a water falls IT's A MONSTER THAT JUST KEEP GROWING so go slow experiment and figure out what you like
Adding salt and other things were popular a while back. It seems a lot of people have veered away from a lot of that, but that's a personal preference. A matter of opinion. Everyone should do what works for them.

No disrespect, I just want to share my view. This way both opinions can be presented and a personal decision can be made.

My opinion, for what it's worth, is to keep it all as natural as possible. I don't do much and don't feel the need to tinker with much.

I never add anything. If at a very rare occasion I need to add water, I'll use a dechlorinator/conditioner to my water which is treated by the borough. My pond/bog pretty much runs itself. Any water that evaporates is replaced by rain.

I never add any store bought "bacteria" either. I feel as long as all the pieces of the puzzle are present, nature will take care of that.

The bog keeps my water crystal clear and my fish are healthy.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Things are changing by the week
Do I have a leak?!

Ignore the naturalising for now.... I'm just trying to maintain.

I cleaned out the filter and made sure the uv light worked (it was broken!).
I also drained a lot of the water out, about 2ft of depth and cleaned some of the liner and sludge from the sides.

But i think i have a leak?
First photo is from 2nd of March after topping the water up, look at the level against the flat stone.
20210302_150258.jpg

Here's the same stone, today 4th March.
20210304_143921.jpg

I haven't filled the pond up that high and noticed before so maybe it's always dropped to the same level?
But looking at photos from when. I first moved in, the water was almost up to the top of the liner...
I guess i should see if it drops any further? How do I find a leak? This is a nightmare!

The water is a lot clearer than it was at least
Advice?

brokensword

Not all those who wander are lost
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
looks like a leak to me; do you have a waterfall? Turn that off and fill the pond back up. Wait and see if it drops again. If not, you have a waterfall leak. If it does, you have to find the culprit. You can let it drop to it's lowest point and that's where you look for a liner leak. But first, I'd make sure all your pipes and fittings are not leaking, after eliminating the waterfall.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
It's not a good practice to clean the beneficial bio-film off of your liner. Leave it there. It's an import part of the pond's ecosystem. Plus it helps hide the black liner a bit.

As far as a leak. Sometimes they can be quite difficult to locate. I think you have the right idea....let it leak down and when it stops, the leak will be at that level. Hopefully it won't be located too far down.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
looks like a leak to me; do you have a waterfall? Turn that off and fill the pond back up. Wait and see if it drops again. If not, you have a waterfall leak. If it does, you have to find the culprit. You can let it drop to it's lowest point and that's where you look for a liner leak. But first, I'd make sure all your pipes and fittings are not leaking, after eliminating the waterfall.
Very good points.
Most leaks occur in either a waterfall or plumbing. Definately check those areas immediately. Shut off all pumps and see if the leak continues.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The level didn't seem to drop past the top of the black planter/basket.

I've retopped the pond up and turned the pump off to eliminate that.

If the level never goes below the top of that basket it means it's around the edge of the liner somewhere? Is there a way to find it easily? Any tips?

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Leaks can be hard to find.
If it stops at that same level again, you'll just have to feel around slowly for any damage.

Are there any penetrations in the liner, such as a skimmer, a pipe to or from your filter?

If no water leaks out, the it's somewhere in you plumbing.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
If you want the pond to look natural You will have to remove all the wood around the edge and if something is needed then use rock. In nature, things don't look like that. You will also have to do something about the landscaping around the pond. And by all means, get rid of most of the fish! Three or four fish should be the max. It would be nice to add a waterfall and get rid of the sprayer in the middle. Here is a picture of a very small pond and you
lawson pond 4.JPG
lawson pond 4.JPG can see what landscaping does.

Ask a Question