new koi pond set up

Reaction score
I now have waterfalls going into my koi pond, what would you all suggest to keep the foaming down? also what is the main cause of foaming?

thanks dave
gowen mi

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Are you talking about foaming as it hits the water in the pond ?
If so it might be indicating your having slight problem with water quality can you check your water perameters and let us know what they are please Dave .

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
going to do that, any recomendations for a good quality comprehensive water tester kit? and where would i be able to purchase?

just had some landscaping done which includes a 1000 gal koi pond with waterfalls(old koi pond was 300 gal), the water came from the outdoor spicket(not thru the water softener), my koi's and goldfish are in heaven with such room, i bring the koi's in for the winter(michigan) because of the herpes like blisters(this forum helped me dianose) some of them would get which would ultimately kill them however the goldfish do very well thru the winter. want to keep constant check on the water quality, my fish are getting bigger and along with bigger fish comes bigger waste problems, thanks for any advise

dave
gowen mi

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Dave our own pond is the same size as yours we dont have the waterfall relying on a Spindrifter bottom drain cover to supply oxygen which creates a downward flow around the pond .
Koi pox isnt a problem its seasonal and disapates as the water warms up again in spring so I wouldnt worry about it, yes I know it looks ugly but it does go...
Even goldfish suffer from it but with them its known as fish pox its the same virus.
I believe once it shows on a fish its acctually the end stage of the virus a little like when we humans get chicken pox,in saying this however weve noticed over the years looking at friends ponds that some koi get covered in it, others just a little, some dont even come down with it at all
Your main worry keeping koi would be the introduction of KHV (Koi Herpes Virus)
which kills at about an 80% mortality with survivors either being ruthanized or placed in Permanent QT with seperate filters nets and equipment .
Goldfish suffer GHV (Goldfish Herpes Virus),a varient of KHV (not sure which came first), it could be the other way around but it has less of a mortality rate however the same permanent QT proceedures must be practiced but the odds on you getting these two viruses are minimal.
We over winter using Polycarbonate sheeting covering the pond, have everything from the filter housing and pond insulated by 22mm polystrene sheets with further insulation around the pond of silversided bubble wrap and recycled plastic loft insulation, and have a small 800 watt Oil heated radiator which cuts off at temperature leaving the oil to cool then cuts back in again.
It works and keeps our pond at around 13-14c throughout the winter dipping to about 11.c when exeptionally cold (our UK temeratures being less than the US).
I do however have a friend in Canada who I got to do the same as your good self in that she brings her koi and goldfish indoors to her husbands workshop and is no longer looing koi through the intense cold she suffers every year -24c with a windchill of -54c.
As to a good test kit m'mmm its a toss up between API pr Tetra ( weve used both but prefare Tetra over API).
Incidentally I used to keep our koi indoors in a huge aquarium but ill health forced the move outside due to my inability to do maintenance issues anymore thanx to chronic Osteo Arthritis, working with slide valves and a hose takes far less time and doesnt hurt the knees as much , this will be our 27th year as koi keepers.

rgrds

Dave

Ask a Question