New member and pond help

Reaction score
I am a new member and looking for advice on an existing pond.
We bought a house last year with this pond in the garden. We want to renew it and eventually put fish in. At the moment it is just the structure. As the pond is stone built on the sides we want to leave it as it is. But are struggling with how to finish off the liner on the edge. At some points it is very thin at the top, only 3 inches across, and the stone that was on there often falls into the pond.
We recently saw some liner that was coated in gravel. We were wondering whether to use this just around the top as a finish instead of black liner.
Any help/advice would be great.

100_1360.JPG

100_1361.JPG

100_1359.JPG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcome10.gif
rshort23

Addy on this forum has used some stuff called rock on a roll. Not sure if it would work in your circumstance or not.
Here is their web-site so you can see what it looks like: http://rock-on-a-roll.com/

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Good job jw, you beat me to it, that stuff would cover up the black nicely.

welcome-1-1-1.gif
rshort23..............glad you joined

Reaction score
Thanks for the help.
Addy, do you think the rock on a roll would look ok? As it would just be exposed as that, there is no way to have plants etc around the pond wall by the garden path. We won't be using flat stone on top as it keeps falling in.
I have seen some of this recently in a shop http://www.pondkeeper.co.uk/stone-faced-pond-liner.asp
has anyone ever used any?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
first of all ..let me welcome you to the group ....i dont see any real easy fix for that pond from what i see in these pics....from what i can see, you need to pull the liner out and mix up some concrete and mortar to rework, redo, .add to, and smooth out some of the wall structure.. i see jagged edges of rock with liner over them. uneven, different thicknesses in the wall... do what ya gotta do to fix the wall so its level and smooth walled inside. reinstall a liner, weather it be new or the same one.

Reaction score
There are definitely different thicknesses of the wall, however I believe the edge wall was built around a pre-formed liner (not our doing) so this protects the liner from rock. So would this be ok? The challenge then would be to level the top of the wall all around. I'm still deciding whether to re-line or not. Think we probably will.
Also does anybody have advice of what pumps, filters etc we will need. At the moment there is nothing so we have a blank canvas. We are going to try incorporate a small waterfall as well.
Thanks

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have used the evolution series pump, it has so far worked well, low electricity use. The diy section has some good filters you could make for not much cost.
I have used the rock on a roll in places where I just could not hide the liner, to me it has worked well. It weathers and blends in with the rocks.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States

It's a shame when you get a pond with a house and then have to figure it out .You should not need a really large pump unless you plan on going bigger or more expensive .What you want to look at with a pump is warranty and electric use and if the pump has any complaints and how many problems people have had with it and you can google the pump and see the ratings on it .It is similar to the harbor freight pump

Reaction score
The pond is approximately 5400 litres. Any further advice on pumps and filters?
sissy - it is a shame, we liked the idea of the pond but that, and the rest of the garden has proved a lot of work, time and money! But we might be nearly there this year!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
To make it your own it always takes work .When this house was done There was 3 barren acres to plant .I wish I would have had something to start with but i knew I was in for the long haul .

I have planted trees and grass and it was not easy .You will get there also

Reaction score
Wow that is a lot! We only have a terraced garden in the UK, and we thought that was a lot of work!
I was looking to make a waterfall to feed the pond, something along the lines of water pouring out of a pot. Like the water features here http://www.primrose.co.uk/water-features-jugs-vases-urns-c-1_167.html but just a single pot. Any ideas where i may find one of these or some ideas to make something similar
Thanks

Reaction score
j.w - thats a nice one, any idea where i might get just the jug or even ideas about buying/making a water wheel?

Ask a Question