new member with a new pond

Discussion in 'Newbies to Garden Ponds' started by PBJH2O, Feb 17, 2014.

1. PBJH2O

PBJH2O

Hello all I'm a new member here with a new pond (my first one in years) I have taken over a year to build this and I love it. I am about ready for the water and filtration. Alittle background on myself I own a water filtration company specializing high end equipment for restaurants so I have lots of used and new equipment tanks, carbon, different medias, filters.
    This was my thought for the filtration I have a small carbon tank on the inlet of the system ( the float)
    9"x 44" tank with 1 cubic ft coconut carbon down flow
    9"x 44" tank with 1 cubic ft sand down flow
    9"x44" tank with bio balls up flow not sure how many to put in or if that tank size will work
    Uv light. 20140217_125202.jpg 20140217_125223.jpg 20140217_125214.jpg
    Also not sure of what order the filtration sould be in
    Do I need anyother filtration or does something seem wrong with what im thinking. Im not sure yet on what the actual gallon size of the pond is I will have a meter on when I fill it.

PBJH2O, Feb 17, 2014
    sissy likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. PBJH2O

sissy sissy

Welcome so there is a small pond and a large one .You can also use one of the sites for pond calculator by size of your pond and depth and it will at least give you an idea before you fill .Is this city water or well water .

sissy, Feb 17, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. PBJH2O

PBJH2O

Thanks I will check it out it is also on city water.

PBJH2O, Feb 17, 2014
  4. PBJH2O

sissy sissy

The water will need treated and it will need time for the pond filters to start working before fish .I just type in pond water calculator and it gave me 6 different sights and first thing they ask is shape .It really looks like you have been working hard to get it right and guessing you researched what you were building .looks good

sissy, Feb 17, 2014
  5. PBJH2O

PBJH2O

Thank you it has taken a lot of work its all 1-1/2" piping with adjustment valves so I can draw water from top and bottom at the same time and adjust how much from each. I plan on letting the pond run at least a month before any fish. I will test the water weekly for the first month. Before I put in any KOI I plan on throwing in a few gold fish and see how they do.

PBJH2O, Feb 17, 2014
  6. PBJH2O

sissy sissy

remember koi get very very big and are fussy about water quality .My koi were a couple of inches long 11 years ago and are now over 2 feet long and sure wish someone had told me .You could get a goldfish or 2 to start so you will not loose any koi .I left mine for almost 2 months but used water from my other pond and filter to get it started.every time I did a water change on the old pond the new pond got the old water and I have well water so saved me some time there .This is aggie and bert .

Attached Files:

sissy, Feb 17, 2014
  7. PBJH2O

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

Beautiful pond! Welcome to our site! Koi do get big. I stuck with gf, shubunkins for ease of care.

addy1, Feb 17, 2014
  8. PBJH2O

PBJH2O

So by chance does anyone know if the carbon should for before or after the bio balls

PBJH2O, Feb 18, 2014
  9. PBJH2O

sissy sissy

I have lava rock and it is after it but not sure if it would be the same with bio balls .My filter goes up and out of the pond so I wanted .meaning my water goes in the top over the activated charcoal and down to go back up a pipe and out .I also put a bag in my water fall areas and a bags of crushed oyster shells to keep ph stable .Crushed oyster shells you can get at farm stores it is used to make chicken eggs harder

sissy, Feb 19, 2014
  10. PBJH2O

JBtheExplorer Native Gardener

As Addy1 said, you should try Shubunkins. They stay smaller than Koi and look just as nice, I personally think they look better, and are less of a hassle. They also wont destroy plants or attack frogs, at least not in my experience. Another choice are Comets. I have a Sarassa Comet in my photo. They have less of a variety but their orange/red stays really bright.

JBtheExplorer, Feb 19, 2014
  11. PBJH2O

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

Here are a few of my shubbies, I love their colors.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

addy1, Feb 20, 2014
  12. PBJH2O

Sunshine

My filter set up is water from pond upflow through bio balls in a mesh bag than 3 blue Matala mats than into pond. Everyone's set up is different, just have to tweak it to see what works best for you and your area.

Sunshine, Feb 20, 2014
  13. PBJH2O

j.w I Love my Goldies

[​IMG] PBjH20
    Very nice looking pond w/ precision work using all that rock and tile,wow!

j.w, Feb 20, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question