j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Well you are in the UK I think so I don't know but I would think garden stores or plant nurseries would be a good start or maybe they just sell the jugs on line somewhere by themselves?

Reaction score
I've looked online and can't find much. Going to check out garden centres on Friday see what we can find.Its all go!

Reaction score
Hi
We're still looking at pumps etc. the pond works out at about 4000 litres. Would the above pump be ok?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't know the bermuda pumps, but the flow is good for your size, 3000 liters per hour, with your pond being 4000 liters It will turn your pond over a little slower than once per hour.

Reaction score
Any advice from anyone about wood. I think i'm going to line to edging with timber. What kind of treatments can/can't be used in case of chemicals. it will be pressure treated timber but was wondering whether to put anything on it or just leave as is.
thanks

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If out side of your pond, where it did not have water running over it then into the pond, you should be ok. I have read the chemicals can leach into your water and hurt the fish. I used pressure treated lumber, but it is covered with liner, which keeps it away from the pond water.

Reaction score
Addy - it will be outside the pond, but will rain bring much in? (I'm in england!!!)
Also, i'm a bit of a novice about electrics. I currently have no power source outside. I could obviously take a lead out of the house, but is it better to get a proper electrician. again i live in UK.
Thanks

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I ran mine off extension cords for a while, if you want electricity run, hire someone that knows what they are doing. I can wire things, but do not like electricity.

If your wood is covered and the edge of the pond is higher than the run off from rain, higher than the surrounding land, i.e. it won't get into the pond, you should be fine.

Reaction score
Well, have sorted the electrics out now, and promptly stuck the pump in the pond, the pipe and the drain and flicked it on.
Went very well for a while until it became pea soup. Been bucketing it out but not all there yet. Found loads of frogs and even some newts, relocated to our wildlife pond.
Will carry on later in the week

Reaction score
Hi
Still going with the pond. Looks a lot different now, close to completion. Have bought plants and built a small waterfall. Used gravel in both of these and this has turned the water cloudy. Will this clear with patience or is there anything i can do to help?
Thanks

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
quilt batting to catch the fine dirt but most will settle on the bottom but the fish or heavy rains may mix it up again

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Seems as tho a lot of peeps are having trouble w/ cloudy water and new ponds. It will settle but like sissy says will get stirred up w/ any movement. Try the quilt batting in a laundry basket w/ a hose running over it or put it under the falls and clean the batting when dirty and then put it back till water is clear. Helps to have more than one bunch of batting for easier switch over.

Ask a Question