New member from Manitoba Canada!

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I have been checking out this site and absolutely love all the advise. My question to other Canadian ponders is this. My pond is about 2500 to 3000 gallons and 3 feet at the deepest part. We have brutal winters here with months of freezing temperatures and always the possibility of major snow falls. Is there any way possible to keep my goldfish in the pond throughout the winter with these conditions? I have been wintering my goldfish indoors in a 100 gallon stock tank for the last 5 years and this fall I have decided to winter them in my garage which is insulated but not heated. They are in the stocktank and I have built a 2 inch styrofoam insulated box around the tank and housed a 60 watt light bulb in a trouble light which hangs on a hook on the side of the styrofoam. I am hoping this will be able to keep the closed in area just above freezing. I do have a de-icer on hand to put in the stocktank if the bulb isn't enough heat. I would love input on the possibility of wintering the fish in the pond itself next year. Is this possible in my zone. I believe I am zone 3 in Manitoba. What is involved in outdoor wintering? How does a person keep a pump running in a pond with such harsh temperatures? How does a person keep an areator running in a pond with such weather? What about snow? Does it have to be removed from the pond? Is wintering fish in the pond more work than netting them and bringing them in? Any advise and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

pond august 12 2012 002.JPG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Howdyautumn-1.gif
wendy
Colleen here on this forum is from Medicine Hat and she keeps her fish outdoors all year long. She's got a thread on here talking about how she keeps hers going. I just went to find the link to post it here and see that you have already found it. Nice pond you have there too :razz:
p.s I borrowed addy's cute little pup for this welcome greeting :)

Reaction score
Thanks J.W. I really appreciate the welcome! I saw Colleen's topic about running her pond all year and that she is from Canada. That is what actually brought me to joining. So much info on this site. I don't know if I missed something but I can't really see how Colleen actually runs her pond during the winter. I am a very visual person so unfortunately I may have missed it in the discussion. I will go back and re-read it. I am interested in trying this for next winter, but I need to research as much as possible as my oldest goldfish are 6 years old and about 8 - 10 inches long and I would just hate to lose them. Thanks again and I am sure we will chat soon!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Welcome, Wendy! I love your pond , very pretty, and love the kitty pic, too. My inside cats like to go outside and sit and watch the fish, and chase frogs into the water. :) We're all waiting for Colleen to notice this post! Yes, she talked about keeping her pond running all winter, and she has snow already! I kept a pump running all winter, turned off the waterfall, didn't want to worry about ice forming and directing the water out of the pond. But, running a pump shooting the water upwards helped keep the ice from forming. I also used a floating heater if it got frozen, and opened the ice with that then used the pump to open it more. I hated running the heater, more expensive. But, you can let your pond freeze, just try to not keep it solid ice for extended periods of time. Last winter was a really mild winter, to say the least!

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
WeLCoMe WEnDy!!! :D. I have noticed this post, finally, at 3 in the morning, woke up after falling asleep on the couch in front of the TV. Very nice pond! Love the kitty cat by the pond sitting so nice!! I see you have lots of nice plants too! The irises are very nice too, good sedges, they will grow very large after a couple years. Did your iris bloom this year? If not it should next year, sometimes they take a couple years to get going. Looks like you got lots plants going, and I think that picture with the kitty, is she sitting by the aquatic mint with the purple flowers?

Going to bed now to snuggle my fat Poppy!! Zzzzzzzz

Attachments

• IMAG1569-1.jpg
    IMAG1569-1.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 200
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Silly Colleen, tell Wendy how you keep your pond going all winter. She's worried about things freezing up. You keep your fish in the pond all winter, too. Wake up, Colleen. LOL, Wendy needs your winterizing help. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Big red floating heater, fries with the fish nice and a little beer beer batter, and your good to go for supper!! Ha ha ha

Joking of course, CE we have been chatting up a storm on the new thread I have, "my pond runs all winter". Winter the pond can be made easy, unless the power goes out, or if you don't check on things daily.

Big red floating heater 1500 watts, from Peavy Mart, about 25 dollars and a special heavy duty extention cord rated for 1500 watts or more, and plug into ground fault circuit interrupter (GFI) so you really don't fry yourself! keep heater where water moves well.

PLUG IN only when temperature below -10c or colder, to save on electric bill. Fish will be fine with some ice on pond. I like to keep 75 to 80 percent of my pond covered with ice to minimize evaporation during winter.

Keep an extra pump & filter and hose at the ready, I case power goes out and the main pump & hose freezes.

Just keep a few fish outside the first year to see how you manage.

Ask me questions anytime. :) :) :) :) :)

Reaction score
Hi Colleen - Well my black gamecock iris was new this year and it did not bloom. My water iris is about 5 years old and it bloomed a couple flowers. The plant with the purple flower where the kitty is sitting is actually my fav. pond plant. It is pickeral weed. I started with one plant and have divided it up several times. I have 4 of them in my pond now. I just plant them in clay in large kitty litter boxes. Very heavy to move in and out of the pond. I also gave a couple away to my brother. Nice plant lots of green large leafy spikes and forever blooming flowers. The pic with the kitty is actually my small pond in 2011.

As for wintering next year......Probably wise for me to shut down large exterior pump, skimmer and waterfall. What type of pump/filter would you recommend for wintering in the pond? Where would it be placed inside the pond? Deepest part (3 feet), halfway point (2 feet) or on the shelf (only 1 foot deep) I have a 500 gph mag drive pump that is good submersible or out of water. I also have a small filter for it. I can't see how that system would work in ice covered water though. I am thinking the pump would freeze solid and crack.

Do you have any suggestions of a pump/aerator that would work here in the deep freeze known as Manitoba? I am not actually from Winnipeg. It is just easier to say I am. I am just north of Winnipeg about 50 miles. Little small town.

I purchased a small 100 watt de-icer to use in my stock tank that holds my fish for the winter in my garage. I am hoping I don't have to use it and that my 2 inch styrofoam box with 60 watt light bulb will do the trick this year. But, I could use it in the pond for next winter to keep an area of the pond open from ice. Even if the de-icer kept an area of ice open on the pond surface, what about aeration in the pond itself. I always thought that even if the fishes are dormant, they are still releasing toxic gases in the deep water below. Just from their gills. Maybe I have been mis informed. I am a full year away from next winter season, but I thought it would be best to get informed now and start preparing!

I saw your beautiful pictures on the other discussion board. You have beautiful plants in your yard. I am not sure what your profession is but you should def be in the landscaping design field. Rocks.....those guys are so heavy. How on earth does your body handle moving all those rocks? My back is not the best, and it just aches at the thought of you rolling and handling these large rocks! I have a ton of rocks around my pond/stream and waterfall. They are nice, but I do find for the first year my pond felt "hard" with all these rocks. My plantings are new this year around the pond so they didn't get too big. In time I hope they will grow and soften up all the hardness of the rocks.

Do you pot any of your pond plants? I always have potted them. The idea of just throwing them in the pond is quite appealing though. I suppose you leave most of your plants in the pond all winter too with the pond running all year. I always haul mine out every fall and put them back in every spring. Back-breaking job! Good time to divide them though in the spring if they need it.

I guess my main questions for running my pond through a winter is this - What type of pump/filter do I need to do the job in our crazy cold winter. Where do I place the pump/filter? Depth? Do I need aeration of some sort? Where to place a de-icer? Over the deepest area of pond, or near the edge of pond where the shelf is only 12" in the water? What do you do with snow that falls on the pond through the winter? Remove it? Leave it? I guess those a quite a few questions huh? Thanks Colleen. Talk soon!

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Place the 100 watt de-icer in the garbage, or see if you can get your money back! If it's the de-icer I am thinking of, a small pump attached to a round foam disc, run get your money back, does not work for our weather, maybe good to -15 at the most, and then it freezes.

My pond circulates all winter with the main pumps that are in the water, filter on shelf where I can get to it easy. There is lots of oxygen in my pond because there is always open holes in the ice where the water pours from one pond to another. My pond does not freeze solid, cause there is the 1500 watt heater that I use when the temperature is below minus 10c. The water will not freeze in the hose of the pump if it is always running, faster than 100 gph. I recommend you use a least one pump of at least 2000 gph for your size pond, for winter use. I run at least 4000 gph between the two pumps, (underwater) with good filters so they don't get plugged, last thing you need to do is clean filter when it is minus 40!! I much rather use my pumps than a air stone bubbler. This way the water is still filtered all winter long. I know lots of people who killed their fish in this weather relying on "bubblers" maybe some people can make it work here, but I don't know of any. Wayne from Edmonton has a big bubble that he says he is going to use this winter... with a HEATER, not alone cause it is too cold here.

I like your pickeral weed, looks really nice and you have good luck with it, I tried it once many years ago and it did not do well for me. The plant that does very well for me is the Yellow flag water iris. It grows very very tall for me, over six feet tall. I used to have it planted in basket in pond mud that I made, and it grew so big it bust out of the basket over 20 years ago. There is no soil left, and I have divided it many times over the years, now it is so large I fear I can no longer move it!! So I cut around the edges and give lots of chunks away. The plant floats now, like a big boat, I could float it to the other side if I wanted. It is so big, it never falls over, somehow it is just floating, and the fish swim under it!! It took years to get a massive clump that is this large. It used to be much smaller, and I just wedged it to the side of the pond and used some rocks to hold it in place, many many years ago. Now it has grown way past the shelf and is floating in the middle of the pond in water three feet deep!! Not all irises will grow in water that deep, most irises are bog type plants that like shallow water. Did any of your irises bloom yellow, if so it is most likely the yellow flag.

When the snow falls on the pond I leave it. Snow is good over the ice, helps to keep the pond insulated. When the snow falls heavy over the ice, the holes in the ice seem to grow larger, as the heater can better heat the water with a "blanket of snow" over the ice.

I will post pictures of this when I get some ice on pond. No ice on pond yet, not using heater yet, not cold enough. I will post lots of pictures of how the water flows UNDER the ice in the "spill way" *spill way is where water flows from top pond into middle pond and down to bottom pond. Sort of like little water falls that connect each pond.

First Picture from (late spring) of two of the three connecting ponds and the large yellow flag takes quite a bit of room as you can see. Notice how large the hardy pond plants are in late spring. This is because the pond never shuts down so they get growing very early here, like in March the new shoots are popping up. Second picture is plants growth in april.... most people have not even considered getting their pond back up and running yet... the benefits of running your pond all winter .... last picture is in march

Attachments

• IMAG2255.jpg
    IMAG2255.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 274
  • IMAG0724-1.jpg
    IMAG0724-1.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 236
  • IMAG0301.jpg
    IMAG0301.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 262

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Large amounts of saturated fat allow me to work hard and move bolders, ha ha ha, but it is true I eat tons of fat, yummy fat, real butter, cream cheese, ect.... waiting for the heart attack, ha ha ha.... I don't fall for the eat lean crap, makes you weaker, God said the fat is the best, it's in the bible!!
I just turned 47 and my Auntie is 90 and only stopped gardening when she was 85, and she always saved the lard, cooked everything in lard or butter. She still is going hard, no one can "catch her" at the retirement home cause they are all pushing walkers or in a wheelchair! :) :) :)

Ask a Question