j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Not sure what you are talking about me winning or w/ the post 2000 except I noticed that you are stuck at 2001 for some reason :yikesu:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Oh I guess I am stuck also at 814............how does that work anyway? Aren't replies counted as posts also or is it just threads that you start.............noooooooooo, I have not started 814 threads I know that for sure :yikesu:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ok now I get it, I was going whacko there for a minute so don't mind me................just forget everything I just said :yikesu:

Reaction score
DrDave said:
Welcome to the Forum!
Harvick is our drivers team mate. Did your platform have a Solar Turbines package on it?

You work with solar turbines?

I work offshore as well and we've got 2 saturns out here. (Or maybe centaurs, I'm on a new platform!)

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
crawls said:
Welcome! I'm just up the interstate from you in Mccomb

Not far at all! 45 minutes top. If you need help with anything feel free to ask away. I have been in contact with a fellow this week that wants to give pond building a try. We are looking for someone that wants a pond that will invest the $$ to do a good Koi pond right. We have not done a bottom drain pond yet but would like to. If your planning on a nice Koi pond we may be able to help out. Not looking to make money really doing it just need help covering expenses. I do have extra plants, and some really good spots to find fish in Baton Rouge and Hammond covington areas depending on what your looking for.

Reaction score
fishin4cars said:
Not far at all! 45 minutes top. If you need help with anything feel free to ask away. I have been in contact with a fellow this week that wants to give pond building a try. We are looking for someone that wants a pond that will invest the $$ to do a good Koi pond right. We have not done a bottom drain pond yet but would like to. If your planning on a nice Koi pond we may be able to help out. Not looking to make money really doing it just need help covering expenses. I do have extra plants, and some really good spots to find fish in Baton Rouge and Hammond covington areas depending on what your looking for.

I am looking to build a bottom drain pond.

I'm offshore until next Tuesday but when I get home I will post pictures of the proposed spot that I want to use. I'm not sure how big or what kind of pond y'all are looking to work on. I'm thinking it will probably be about 15-20 x 5-6ft with a max depth of about 4-5ft. I want to dig a hole and do a typical pond but also build up the sides a little with some bricks to give extra depth without digging so much.

All of this is tentative and just plans I'm making up in my head as I go, I probably won't even start on it for a few months.

As for fish, I'm still not sure what I want to stock with.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Well once you get closer get with me, I think we could probably help if needed. I can sure help in the do and don'ts some for sure. Get some pics and lets see what you got. I worked offshore too, don't anymore but 15 years of it. Electric line operator The design your going toward very much intrests me, A new challenge but one that I'm comfortable working with. I've done more natural style ponds and that would be a little more formal. I'm looking for someone that is doing the bottom drains to get some first hand input in installing them, Are you thinking of doing jets? Filtering? DIY or buying a pre-made filter, pumping from in the pond? skimmer,( I do recommend), UV light? Waterfalls, streams,?
We are not professional pond builders, BUT we are wanting to look into offering the service in the future, It's not easy getting experience without getting hands on so what our idea is at this point is to help do some builds and start a portfoilio of projects we have been involved with. Might be a good way to get cheap help for you and for us to get some on hands on experience and pics if your intrested.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
BTW, By saying Koi pond, Koi ponds to me are designed specifcaly for Koi, That doesn't mean you can't keep gold fish in them or vise versa. Koi ponds really need more filtering as they put off more waste but a well designed pond can do both.
I used Koi pond a little losely as We are intrested in the pond build, Koi, Goldfish, or just plant all intrest us as far as building.

Reaction score
fishin4cars said:
Well once you get closer get with me, I think we could probably help if needed. I can sure help in the do and don'ts some for sure. Get some pics and lets see what you got. I worked offshore too, don't anymore but 15 years of it. Electric line operator The design your going toward very much intrests me, A new challenge but one that I'm comfortable working with. I've done more natural style ponds and that would be a little more formal. I'm looking for someone that is doing the bottom drains to get some first hand input in installing them, Are you thinking of doing jets? Filtering? DIY or buying a pre-made filter, pumping from in the pond? skimmer,( I do recommend), UV light? Waterfalls, streams,?
We are not professional pond builders, BUT we are wanting to look into offering the service in the future, It's not easy getting experience without getting hands on so what our idea is at this point is to help do some builds and start a portfoilio of projects we have been involved with. Might be a good way to get cheap help for you and for us to get some on hands on experience and pics if your intrested.

I'll be sure to let you know, I work in production out in the deepwater. Actually just a few miles from where Deepwater Horizon blew up.

I'm looking for something somewhere in between formal and natural. I was thinking of using the curved landscaping bricks as the outer edge so it could still have some curves to it.

Jets - Not sure what these are. (I'm thinking maybe for a fountain or something, if so then no, no fountains.

Filters - I'm going to try and go for a DIY filter to save on costs and from what I've seen they are much more effective.

Pumps - Yes pumping from in the pond.

Skimmers - This seems like a good idea. I haven't looked much into them though so I don't know a whole lot about them but it seems like it would be helpful.

UV Light - Seems to me that it would be the best choice to help out with the clarity

Waterfalls/Streams - Still depends on the layout I end up going with, if it seems like they will fit in very well, yes. It's no big loss to not have them though.

As for the help, I sure won't turn you down. I'm not looking to build a giant mega-pond or anything very very intricate. I do want to go ahead and try to do everything right so that I won't be trying to constantly retro-fit everything into the pond. I'm also trying to go a little bigger than I think I want because it seems to me like bigger is always better when it comes to the ponds.

I'd love the help and I'll get you pics when I can. I'll be sure to let you know before I start and give y'all time to decide if you want to help or not. I don't want to waste anyone's time but that sure seems like an offer I can't pass up, cheap help from an experienced person!

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
crawls said:
I'll be sure to let you know, I work in production out in the deepwater. Actually just a few miles from where Deepwater Horizon blew up.

I'm looking for something somewhere in between formal and natural. I was thinking of using the curved landscaping bricks as the outer edge so it could still have some curves to it.

Jets - Not sure what these are. (I'm thinking maybe for a fountain or something, if so then no, no fountains.

Filters - I'm going to try and go for a DIY filter to save on costs and from what I've seen they are much more effective.

Pumps - Yes pumping from in the pond.

Skimmers - This seems like a good idea. I haven't looked much into them though so I don't know a whole lot about them but it seems like it would be helpful.

UV Light - Seems to me that it would be the best choice to help out with the clarity

Waterfalls/Streams - Still depends on the layout I end up going with, if it seems like they will fit in very well, yes. It's no big loss to not have them though.

As for the help, I sure won't turn you down. I'm not looking to build a giant mega-pond or anything very very intricate. I do want to go ahead and try to do everything right so that I won't be trying to constantly retro-fit everything into the pond. I'm also trying to go a little bigger than I think I want because it seems to me like bigger is always better when it comes to the ponds.

I'd love the help and I'll get you pics when I can. I'll be sure to let you know before I start and give y'all time to decide if you want to help or not. I don't want to waste anyone's time but that sure seems like an offer I can't pass up, cheap help from an experienced person!

jets are piping that returns the water back to the pond and helps create a swirling effect to help the bottom drain pick up debris.

the skimmer is designed to help remove leaves and larger debris before they enter the pond, I have my pump in the skimmer, help to protect the pump from clogging and it gives the maximum flow rate through the skimmer itself bor better debris removal.

Down here in our area, I highly suggest a UV light!

I'm not far off of 1-12/1-55 if your coming through and want to look at what I have for ideas we can surely work something out.

Ask a Question