New pond, all my fish are dying

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
NP, JW, It just shows them that it's first things we are thinking of and they get two opinions for the price of one! LOL

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
eirrac hang in there, the pond peeps will help you get through this.

Reaction score
It is by PondCare and called Pond-Zyme with Barley, Heavy Duty Pond Cleaner. Says it eliminates organic sludge to help maintain a healthy pond. I haven't opened it yet so let me know if this isn't good!

Reaction score
eirrac11, not sure what he gave you to use, but if your fish are still alive (goldfish are much hardier then koi in these conditions) I would buy an ammonia binder, I love Prime it works super fast there is also one called Amaquil...Prime also binds the nitrates and nitrites...I think maybe Amaquil has one like that also maybe it is Amaquil plus. Any way this will not get rid of your ammonia but bind it so it is non toxic to the fish. It will still show up as bad on a test kit also. Continue to do the water changes smaller ones daily for a few days along with the bacteria as suggested. I know the Prime works real well I've used it in QT tanks.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
Kordon's AMQUEL + (plus) is a fantastic product. it eliminates ammonias, chlorine,and chloramines (which is a combination of ammonia and chlorine) and yes it eliminates both nitrites and nitrates.
i use it.

Reaction score
hmmm, I wonder if I should go back. I hate to open this if its not the best, for $50 it better work :rolleyes:

It says on the container its an enzymatic cleaner containing a super concentrated blend of beneficial dry bacteria and natural barley that creates and maintains sparkling clean water gardens and ponds. It says it breaks down fish waste and dead algae that cause cloudy water, sludge build up and debri.

I am kind of worried that it isn't the best for what I need b/c my pond is crystal clear???

Also, I just wanted to say thank y'all so much for y'alls help! I am clueless!

Reaction score
As high as your ammonia is, a 50% water change isn't enough to save your fish. The ammonia level will still be poisonous.

Here's what I would do. Get a large water container, like a kiddie swimming pool or a stock tank and fill it with dechlorinated water to serve as a temporary pond. Multiple containers would be better, but I don't know how much you can handle.. Then use one of your pumps to remove water until your pond is as close to empty as you can tolerate. While the water is going down, scoop out as many of the littlest fish as you can and put them in the fresh water. They will have the best chance to survive since they don't produce as much ammonia as the big ones do. Once your pond is as close to empty as you are willing to go, add fresh water to your pond. Don't fill the pond all at once, but rather fill it about a quarter full, wait an hour or so for the fish to adjust, then fill to half full, etc. Such a large water change is stressful to your fish, but they are swimming in poison, so you don't have a choice.

I certainly hope you got a test kit at the pet store, because you will need to keep testing the water every day to determine ammonia and nitrite levels and changing water to keep them down. When your tests start to show nitrite, your ammonia level will start to go down. That's good, because it means the bacteria that change ammonia to nitrite are established in your pond. Unfortunately, nitrite is also toxic, so you will have to continue the water changes until it disappears. When the nitrite goes away, you get to relax a bit.

Would you please tell us what kind of filter you have -- brand and model -- so we can be sure that it is adequate for your pond?

Reaction score
That stuff is not what your pond needs. Take it back. Did you get your filter at the pet store? That's what I was worried about when I asked what kind it was. Pet stores don't often carry pond filters. Home Depot and Lowes usually carry some pond stuff, but I think you will have to order Prime or Amquel on line.

Can you return some of your fish to the seller? Reducing your fish number is the second best thing you can do after water changes.

Reaction score
I got the pumps and filter from Lowes. If the pet store doesn't have anything besides what I got, is it worth using? Is that still helpful?

So, what keeps this from happening again?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
Petsmart carries Tetrapond, Jungle Pond, Kordons(amquel +), and Laguna pond supplies..a couple other brands as well that I cant remember. conditioners, clarifiers, bacteria, etc... at least here they do!

Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
Kordon's AMQUEL + (plus) is a fantastic product. it eliminates ammonias, chlorine,and chloramines (which is a combination of ammonia and chlorine) and yes it eliminates both nitrites and nitrates.
i use it.

Thanks I thought there was one....I think I used it once when I didn't have the Prime. I like the Prime as it takes much less to work then others so when doing large amounts such as a pond it is well worth it, I get mine at an aquarium store but I'm sure it can be ordered on line.
The Amquel Plus will do the job, all about preferences
Yes get a test kit, drop types are more accurate then sticks but they do in a pinch.
Crystal clear water does not mean healthy water. Your filter needs to time to establish and build it's own bacteria...the stuff you buy in the bottle will sometimes give it a boost. I do use bacterias to start the season...barley you really don't need yet but I find it is helpful with algae control. Some people believe in bacterias and extras some don't. Once you get established you will find what works best for you and your pond they are all different little eco systems....first lets get you over this first hurddle :rolleyes:

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Erirrac, what you have will work. It's probably not of the highest end products on the market, BUT it's priced like it is. It is ok won't hurt will help BUT, It's NOT a quick fix! some of the products other members are telling you are better for locking the ammonia to a safer situation are designed more for quick fix ( some call bandaids) I have used the same product as you, it works! It again is designed to help build the bacteria and at the same time eat sludge, The barley straw may help some against string algea, Not sure about that one but really doesn't matter in your case. If it does maybe the sludge monstor will eat some of those left overs up. lol Water changes, are the best, I highly disagree with large water changes unless your set up for them, You have a new pond, your not set up for that. Stay small and more often, less shock on the pond more time for your pond to cycle. the one thing you can do is set up another container of water with a pump, let it get to the same temp, make sure it is declorintated and put the fish in them. That MIGHT save your fish, Might shock them and kill them 50% chance either way.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
standard dosing of AmQuel will remove:
30+ ppms chlorine (=mgl)
1.2ppm ammonia
2ppm nitrites
13ppm nitrates
detoxifies pheromones

Ask a Question