water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
eirrac11 said:
I really think that is going to be all my sins.

No de-chlorinator, no filter, bass, minnows, perch, no cycling, way too many fish, ducks in the pond....geez, if this was pond court I would be going to the pokey for quite sometime. I am learning lots now though

Laughing we don't have pond jail YET!, but it is an option. Look at the diy filters, you could make one that would do your pond well. skippy type and the doc type. in the diy section.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
The link you posted was a pic of a filter not a pump. Pump pumps water, filter is what breaks down the waste and cleans the water. ther are MANY MANY different types of filters. Personally I say the bigger the better, the cheapest way to do a BIG filter is DIY (do it yourself) Plenty of good builds here on the forum if you want to search.
If you want a good filter designed for your pond that will ease the maintnace I have supplied a link to a good filter with back flush. this is designed to run a 2100 gallon pond. Should be large enough to keep you happy as long as you don't over stock with fish.
http://cgi.ebay.com/LAGUNA-KOI-FISH...489?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5198d9ad51 This one will need a pump but the pump you have may work as long as it pumps over 1200 GPH and not over 3000 gph.

http://cgi.ebay.com/7600-Gallon-Pon...727?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb683441f here is a similar unit that includes a pump, still has the back flush and will work on your pond. I would however recommend another pump, with or with out filter to increase water movement. If you go this route the second pump needs to direct water at the still end of the pond so that all the water is in some motion and to keep from getting dead spots in the pond.

these are just two filter that are similar in design to what you have but will do a better job and are more designed for your size pond. By far not your only options!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
you can always install a ball valve and divert some waterflow around the filter if your pump is alittle beyond a filters reccommendations. then for pressure filters when you backflush you can put a stronger, up to the full flow thru the filter for a better backflush... the backflushing is usually the reason for a recommended minimum flow.....but that said i would still recommend a DIY filter.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I'm with Koiguy, I would really by personal experience go with a DIY but I was trying to send the newbie something that they could order and it work if they wanted to go the more simple life.

Reaction score
I need more simple in my life. I have someone got myself a new house, built this new pond, went and bought baby ducks and baby chicks and have a new baby. All the while, trying to run a business and eat and sleep in between! But I sure think I am going to enjoy this when I get things figured out and it quits become a fish cemetery!

Oh and yes, I met filter! misspoke.

Reaction score
By the way. Welcome to Forums!
You have made many of the mistakes that I think every single person on this site has made when they started out. It's all a learning experience.
Many people I deal with daily believe you just plug the computer in to the wall and it works. You just add water to a pond, throw in some fish, plant a couple of plants, put in a pump and filter and enjoy. And then this happens. You do not sound like someone that gets discouraged. Keep with it. it is more than worth it in the long run. The nest thing you know you will want to expand!

Ask a Question