New pond.. basically my first attempt.

Discussion in 'Garden Pond Talk' started by brc, Jul 10, 2013.

1. brc

sissy sissy

first thing before you put liner in put water in the hole to see how it perks since you said water was flooding your yard you sure don't want your liner floating up on you if water gets behind it and does not seep into the soil

sissy, Jul 22, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. brc

brc

The yard does flood (sort of) in the winter.. I'm waiting for a contractor to come and run a drain line to that part of the yard. Then, I will add French drains and surface drains in that general area, to guarantee that the water table stays well below the pond's water line. As long as the water table is below the water level in the pond, the liner can't move. Having surface water run in from under the patio could be a problem, but there will be drains right there specifically to catch that -- kind of underground surface drains?

I tried pouring water into the hole (since I was a little worried about that), and it did absorb into that white clay stuff -- not very fast, but it does disappear.

brc, Jul 22, 2013
    sissy likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. brc

sissy sissy

I think it is better to wait until after he is all done and you can see what happens ,but that is hard to do since you don't know when heavy rains will hit and sure can't wait until winter is over .I know some on here that have the same problem put drains under there ponds .Here they put sways in the ground to lead water to the lowest point since we have clay soil .

sissy, Jul 22, 2013
  4. brc

brc

Of course, as soon as I get the hole dug, it has to rain buckets for the next couple days. I came home to find the yard flooded and the pond not filled, but underwater. What a load of crap!

It does demonstrate how critical it is to get that drain line back there. Getting enough rain to actually flood the yard, in summer, is something that only happens once or twice a year, so it's good that it happened before there was liner in there. Also (not quite as big a deal), it gave me an instant picture of how level the whole area around the pond is -- and the ground around the rim is actually level enough that I can just measure from it.

brc, Jul 24, 2013
  5. brc

gello22

[SIZE=10.5pt]moving the boulders[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=10.5pt]I asked for 5 stones around 100lbs since I could move those enough to position them or lift into a wheel barrow. I'm not practically that big 5'9" 215lb engineer that should weigh 170lbs. The smallest stone they gave me weighed noticeably more than my child that weighs over 80lbs. The largest was 3-4 times the size. I ended up using an appliance dolly to get most of the 7 they gave me, down our hill to the back yard. You could use a regular dolly with a ratcheting strap to hold the boulders on. in my case the hard wheels soft ground were a [/SIZE]benefit on the hill since 3 of the rocks weighed more than me.[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=10.5pt]In the pond a used a second layer of liner in the hole area since I knew the process of rolling/prying the stones into place would not be pretty. I had my wife prying up on the boulders with some stacked 2X4s to take up some of the weight while I lifted/twisted/rolled them a few more inches closer to where I wanted them. The one in the center of my falls is over 300lbs and probably took 40 minutes to move 3 feet to where I almost wanted it. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=10.5pt][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=10.5pt]have fun/invite a friend :cheerful:[/SIZE]

gello22, Jul 27, 2013
    addy1 and sissy like this.
  6. brc

sissy sissy

they have rock dolly's you can rent .I bought one use at a house auction for 10 dollars.My heavy rocks I used just an extra piece of liner under each one .You can never under estimate the size of a rock and the shape .rocks zero you 100 ,so guessing you won that one .Glad I was not there to see this .Really glad :cheerful: I was not doing it .Builds muscles you never knew you had .

sissy, Jul 27, 2013
  7. brc

rebelangel_3733

gee I cant wait to start moving my rocks (and find another 500 more to boot) I think taking my time with this new pond is helping cuz I keep thinking of new things along the line!! Now am wondering what kind of electrical line to run to it from the garage...and most generally will be in conduit...something for the guys to figure out cuz all I'm good at wiring is a lamp! Any suggestions when it comes to wiring for the pump (s) water features? I will have the main pump, that bubble aireator and this winter a heater. This might come in handy for you too brc! This pond of mine will be about 1900 gallons give or take. Your pond is looking good luv the rocks!

rebelangel_3733, Jul 27, 2013
    sissy likes this.
  8. brc

Pondinginsocal

We added a permanent hose that goes from a sturdy valve underground to the stream, very convenient to run a drip to replace evaporation. Nice not to have to drag a hose around every time I need to add water. IMG_1077.JPG IMG_1079.JPG

Pondinginsocal, Jul 27, 2013
  9. brc

brc

Hey I'm an engineer (EE) too..

I finally managed to spend another day on the pond today, and hopefully will tomorrow too. I took the liner out there this morning and set it in the hole, and saw that it was good for about 18 more inches on 2 sides (I was very conservative about how big I initially dug it). So, I did a lot more digging today and expanded the original hole quite a bit.

The liner is in, with landscape fabric underneath, and it's filled up to the level of the shelf where the edge rocks sit. It's not shown in the pic, but I got three of the edge stones onto that shelf as well -- starting with the biggest one. Moving the big rocks is still harder than digging the hole!

The picture kind of makes it look like there's a huge amount of unused liner, but there's really only about a foot or so on each side. I guess there could be a lot more pond there if I had gone with a different design and just had flat rocks at the edges, but the pond is already a little bigger than planned (and the liner was bought to fit it, not the other way around). Also, let's face it -- ponds never look nice at this stage of construction...

The filter-falls I have looks a little undersized. It should make for a pretty impressive flow, given the 2900GPH pump and 2" pipe, but it's hard to picture it being successful at filtering that kind of flow. There will be a tee somewhere in that pipe so I can add more filtration or another waterfall box in the future.

On a semi-related note, the pond was filled from the well instead of the tap. The previous owner switched the house to city water sometime in the 90's, but the well pump was never removed. I've been considering using it for stuff like this, so this was a good test for it. The water came out nice and clear, and it has the capacity to fill a pond!

Attached Files:

brc, Aug 4, 2013
    sissy likes this.
  10. brc

sissy sissy

I put in 2 filters and it is much easier having a clear water pond if you over filter it .Great that he left the well it better to have clear fresh water than have to treat city water .Saves money also .I am surprised the pump must be a good one also .Gotta love free clear water from the earth .You could do this it helps really aerate the water ,it is just a sump pump hose I used 10 dollars and a ball valve and a splitter made from a regular pvc T pipe and clamps and has worked for over 3 years now
    [sharedmedia=core:attachments:58108]
    [sharedmedia=core:attachments:58107]
    [sharedmedia=core:attachments:58106]

sissy, Aug 4, 2013
  11. brc

brc

That's not a bad idea.. I never thought about putting a power-head in there before. The well has turned out to be nice! It probably hasn't saved me much money just from one pond fill, but it hasn't cost anything either. It should be great to have in a dry year.

I went out this morning and had another look, and decided that there really was too much unused liner there... I just couldn't BS myself into thinking otherwise. So, I rolled part of it back using a piece of PVC pipe (with the water still in) and dug the hole a couple feet bigger on one side. It actually worked out pretty well -- the new section is just as deep as the rest, and the whole thing is sort of shaped like two intersecting ponds.

The rocks are now set around the rim, and I started to mock up the waterfall. The two big rocks to the right of the waterfall that look out of place (due to being set way higher than the rest) are actually level with the patio; these will be the last couple stones that sort of overhang the water. Because they're sitting on the cement blocks, I put styrofoam under them; the visible parts of this still need to be trimmed away. That section may need more work in order to look right, but I guess you could say that about the whole project!

In order to (hopefully) prevent leaks, the main pond's liner continues under the end of the stream, and the stream liner follows it down under the water. The waterfall rocks are actually sitting in the pond, on top of both liners, so there shouldn't be any way for water to leak / splash / wick its way out.

The corner of the liner that's still stretched out in the pics is big enough that I think I can dig a hole there and use it to form a skimmer. This is a total afterthought, but it seems like a good one...

Attached Files:

brc, Aug 5, 2013
  12. brc

sissy sissy

I did not use a skimmer no leaves or stuff can blow in so why build one .Never say never I did that and my grasses which are great water cleaners roots grow between the liners and grew in a mass and forced them apart and I sealed them and had rocks weighing them down and that was only after a year .Now I have it so hopefully I can stop it .I trim the roots off the grasses every 2 months now .I also ran the new liner up and under the filter tank so if it over flows it goes back in the pond .
    [sharedmedia=core:attachments:54032]
    [sharedmedia=core:attachments:54044]

sissy, Aug 5, 2013
  13. brc

brc

Well, I worked on the pond again this weekend... no surprise there I guess. Of course, it's still FAR from completed (no surprise there either), so please excuse another round of ugly construction photos!

I did get the pump / waterfall / stream running today, and the "skimmer" area built. The stone wall has also grown a few more feet, and is starting to wrap around the back of the waterfall. After doing all that, I proceeded to make a typical noob mistake and dump a wheel barrel full of gravel in the stream, instantly turning my whole pond brown... Hopefully it'll settle. Thankfully there are no fish in there. I will need to get something to suck stuff off the bottom before long.

What I plan to do with the stream and parts of the waterfall, is build the soil up outside the liner. Then I can plant stuff alongside, and add mulch as needed, so it's like a flower bed with a stream running through it.

There are still roughly a billion more hours of work needed to finish the pond, patio and stream. Still, it was great being able to finally plug in the pump and see it go.

Attached Files:

brc, Aug 12, 2013
    sissy likes this.
  14. brc

sissy sissy

Love it but you really need to finish so we can see the whole thing .Yeh when the pump goes on and you hear the water rushing down and see how it is flowing is the best part of it because you know you are soon done and can enjoy it all

sissy, Aug 12, 2013
  15. brc

rebelangel_3733

looking good! At least you have your waterfall going and can hear the water flow...aww there is something about a waterfalls "rush" that just soothes the soul...I am still working on mine too. Have the filter running into my new pond right now until I find more rock to finish the waterfall...and thinking I might just add a bog to it...so many ideas aren't there! :D

rebelangel_3733, Aug 12, 2013
  16. brc

sissy sissy

and makes you have to pee :cheerful: :cheerful: :cheerful:

sissy, Aug 12, 2013
  17. brc

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

Love those huge rocks of yours!

addy1, Aug 12, 2013
  18. brc

brc

Thanks for the compliments! And believe me, I want it finished more than anyone! But I knew from the beginning this was going to be an all-summer project, and realistically, I'll still be touching stuff up next spring -- and then doing little improvements on it forever.

It's far enough along that I am getting pretty excited about it. I can finally start to picture it as originally planned -- surrounded by vegetation so it looks like its own little world, with a big fire going, and a bunch of friends enjoying beers and grill food...

As for the big rocks.. I like looking at 'em even more than I hated moving them! Thankfully, it's almost to the point where I can forget about that part and just enjoy the result.

Another thing I need to start thinking about at some point is the lighting. I know there are going to be LED lights in the pond, along the stream edges, behind every waterfall and all over the landscaping (I'm a huge fan of LED lighting lol). For anyone who hasn't tried it, backlighting a waterfall makes kind of a spectacular effect. LED light is perfect for this for a lot of reasons, not least because they are like tiny spotlights that fit almost anywhere. But yeah.. maybe tomorrow I can get the parts ordered to start doing that.

brc, Aug 14, 2013
    addy1 likes this.
  19. brc

brc

It's been a while, so I thought I'd better post an update.

I have done a ton of work on this little project lately. It's still not finished! But, it is a lot closer.

The idea now is that I can get all of the construction 100% done this year, and when spring rolls around again, it will be time to think about plants and fish. That way, all the hard work will be complete, leaving only the fun parts left to do. I would have been surprised at the beginning to know that it would take all summer to get this far, but looking back on all the work that got done, it seems pretty reasonable now.

Attached Files:

brc, Sep 9, 2013
  20. brc

mtpond

Looking good!

mtpond, Sep 9, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question