New pond build info.

Reaction score
Hi.

I am thinking about adding a pond to my garden and need a lot of info. I have kept tropical and marine fish but a pond is new to me.

The pond will measure approx 6ft long x 3foot wide x 4 foot deep(2 foot under and 2 foot raised)

I would like the pond to attract wildlife such as frogs but also have fish in it.

All info would be appreciated right from materials needed and cost, to stocking limits and ideas. would also like to know about pond plants.

One specific question is do you cycle a pond like a tropical tank?

All info appreciated thanks.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They like you to do an introduction first, i.e. what area are your from etc. Makes it easier to know how to answer your questions.

Also read the construction thread and the diy thread there is a lot of information there to help you get started. but of course we will try to answer any questions you have once you get going.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Hello, Please post a introduction thread. Plenty of reading here to help you get started, also a good Pond and Garden book for refrence is ALWAYS a good investment. Ortho and Better homes and Garden both have decent one's available at Lowes and Home depot. Good idea, to see different plans and different ideas and see what best suits your needs in the $$ catagory and in space.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
danb sounds like you have a good depth but size depends on how many fish .Welcome

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
frogs need access to your pond also, I am not sure if they can easily get into a raised pond. Maybe someone with a raised pond will say if they have frogs.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
32" high, I have leopard and tree frogs all the time! Toads have more of a problem which is a good thing since they are the most obnoxious sounding frogs of them all and they are slightly toxic to fish. But I do have one that has figured out how to get up through the Iris's and he calls and calls but nobody joins him.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Gosh my frogs jump about a foot or so .I have the ones also with little suction feet and they climb up everything .I had one three nights ago jump in my glass of water when I was sitting on the front porch resting .I didn't see him until it was to late .I get tons of them with the suction feet that climb up and down the 6x6 's on my front porch

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Great I just recall someone complaining that they did not frogs because of the raised pond. So now we know no problem

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
maybe there just did not find the pond at first .It took 2 years before frogs started showing up at my pond .I guess they liked the creek better then

Reaction score
I want frogs in my pond, should I wait for mother nature or buy some? I also don't want them to die over the winter if I artificially add them.

Will I be ok to buy some from my local pond store?

Sorry for stealing the thread

David

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
water and bugs and frogs will find you believe me .I have to put out seperate water tubs to try to keep them out of my pond .My biggest koi has a habit of frog killing .I have to take a bucket or 2 of tadpoles down to the creek near my house to release them They even clog up the filters .I had to clean some of the hoses out they even clogged up them .

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Davidless said:
I want frogs in my pond, should I wait for mother nature or buy some? I also don't want them to die over the winter if I artificially add them.

Will I be ok to buy some from my local pond store?

Sorry for stealing the thread

David

You build it they will come!

Reaction score
sissy said:
water and bugs and frogs will find you believe me .I have to put out seperate water tubs to try to keep them out of my pond .My biggest koi has a habit of frog killing .I have to take a bucket or 2 of tadpoles down to the creek near my house to release them They even clog up the filters .I had to clean some of the hoses out they even clogged up them .

WOW would have never guessed

My problem with green frogs is I live in a village located in the burbs. Not alot of wild life here

David

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You have frogs and they will find you and then you be complaining too .If you here frog noises at night they will come .Just listen at night for there croaking sound .If you hear that they will be visiting you .Water just begs for there attention

Ask a Question