New pond build questions

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am getting ready to build my pond in the yard, sort of a water feature with a few fish for fun and would really appreciate any input i could get.

The main pond will be 17 feet long by 14 feet roughly in an odd kidney shape, with 3 levels in it at about 1', 2' and the bottom about 3-3.5' deep. Coming off the top waterfall will be a shallow pond about 6' x 9' at between 1 to 1.5' deep. Connecting the two will be a 18' stream about 1.5' wide.

The waterfall filter is going to be a Big Bahama BF2600, the skimmer a Big Bahama PS7000 and a KP 6100 pump.
Here is a link to what I was considering -
http://www.amazon.com/Atlantic-Wate...430777008&sr=1-3&keywords=big+bahama+2600+kit

I know i need a bottom drain and was considering either a Koi Toilet II or this -
http://www.amazon.com/Atlantic-Wate...8&qid=1431712251&sr=1-4&keywords=bottom+drain
The problem I see with the second is it only has a two inch line.

Feeding from the skimmer to the waterfall filter will be either a 2 or 3 inch line. My idea is to rock the upper pond and the stream completely and the top two tiers of the bigger pond leaving the bottom tier liner only. The upper pond will be planted as will parts of the stream. I don't intend on heavily stocking the lower pond; right now I have 5 domestic koi about 16 inches long and will probably just keep them.

if you have time, please try to make sense of this post and add any thoughts you have. I need all the hel pI can get!! Thanks in advance.
- Jay

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
What will be the elevation of the waterfall? How long will be the plumbing run from the skimmer to the waterfall filter?

Reaction score
Country
United States
What will be the elevation of the waterfall? How long will be the plumbing run from the skimmer to the waterfall filter?
The waterfall will be about 3-4 ft above the pond level with about a 30 ft run in the pipe between the pump and waterfall.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I don't have a bottom drain and don't know much about them ,but in saying that all those levels may keep the bottom drain from working properly .Not sure but some one else may know .Like meyer says length of plumbing and all connectors will have to factor into pump out put .Every elbow makes a big difference in how much water flow you will get in the end

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't have a bottom drain and don't know much about them ,but in saying that all those levels may keep the bottom drain from working properly .Not sure but some one else may know .Like meyer says length of plumbing and all connectors will have to factor into pump out put .Every elbow makes a big difference in how much water flow you will get in the end
I was going to try to 45 everything wherever possible versus a hard 90 to cut down on the resistance.
As for the levels, everything I have read says to dig the pond in levels versus a "bowl" shape. Am I wrong in thinking this way?
- Jay

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States

Throw in a couple of fittings and you will have a Total Dynamic Head of about 10.0. Based on the flow chart for this pump, you will have a net flow rate of about 4,750 gph. Total capacity of all aspects of this feature, lower pond, upper pond, stream and transit flow will be approximately 4300 gallons. Since, ideally, you would want a turnover rate of 1.5 - 2 times per hour, this pump will be undersized for achieving that target flow. You need a pump that will produce 6450 to 8600 gph at 10 foot TDH.
KP pumps flow chart.jpg

Ask a Question