First time pond build questions

Reaction score
So I have recently begun construction on my pond. It is dug out already and awaiting my pump, filterfalls and liner etc. to get here. So my pond is 11x15. 3 depth levels, 12" , 24" and 48". I have a small bog, a coping shelf dug and estimate about 5000 gallons. (Seems high). Also, I'm going to have a waterfall roughly 5 feet above water level. This is my setup:

Savio 6500 solids handling pump
Savio 1600 Skimmer w 16.5 inch opening
Savio Sf100 living ponds filter w/ 22 inch weir

Does this setup seem fine? I am going to have basins in my waterfall, with three drops, like a small stream. Also I have read that any pump over 5000 gallons needs 3 inch diameter plumbing as to not restrict waterflow, is this true?

Any help /ideas will be much appreciated

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Welcome to the forum !!
Pond size sounds good , I dont know any thing about that filter
As far as your pump pipe size , if the outlet is 1 1/2"... pipe it 1 1/2" ... if its 2" run 2" pipe
The 3" would sound right for a gravity return

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
welcome-1-1-1.gif

welcome to our group! Add some pictures of your build, we love to visualize what you are doing. It also helps with any questions you might have.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum !!
Pond size sounds good , I dont know any thing about that filter
As far as your pump pipe size , if the outlet is 1 1/2"... pipe it 1 1/2" ... if its 2" run 2" pipe
The 3" would sound right for a gravity return

At work now, will include pics tomm. The connections on the pump are 1 1/2". I was thinking why use 3to ", if they wanted you to use that, wouldn't they make.the connections the desired size of the actual piping, would make sense to me.

Reaction score
Unless there's a typo I'd guess you'd be closer to 3000 gal. I'd recheck.

It is not uncommon to use a larger diameter pipe than the pump's connection. This is done to reduce friction loss inside the pipe. The idea is if you're paying money to push water through a pipe why not get more water out for the same electric cost. The longer the run and more fittings the more friction loss.

The pump connection isn't really a bottle neck. If you look inside the 1.5" opening you'll see there's even a smaller opening inside. If they made that opening larger they can get back flow and the pump would pump less. The difference is pressure. The water coming out of that small hole is high pressure, water moving fast, the water slows in the 1.5" connector and pressure drops. If the water then goes into a 3" pipe pressure and speed drops too. A pump has to work harder to push water through a smaller pipe, at higher pressure and volume drops.

It works either way. You'd just be trading electric for volume.

As far as the filter goes it is impossible to tell if it's good enough. That will depend on fish load and how much food is fed. Testing ammonia tells you whether a filter is enough or not needed. In most ponds a bio filter isn't needed at all. For me cost is a factor, so speeding $500 for a filter I may not need isn't really something I do. And with a bog and 5' waterfall...I'd be sending the filter back toot sweet. Plus, if you did decide to fill the pond with Koi and start feeding a few pounds of food a day there are way better bio filters. Trickle, shower, etc.

If the point of the filter is to stop green water I'd send it back and get a UV filter instead. The difference being a UV works.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I just looked up the filter, imho that would work great. I only use a bog, but one heck of a big one, never have algae or green water issues. There is no mention of the size of your bog, just says it is small, so a nice spot for some boggy type plants, but not your main filtration. I would keep the filter if it was my build. You could go cheaper, i.e. diy filter like they show in the diy section, or buy the already made, dig a hole and install the filter, with a nice waterfall weir.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Welcome, Droc81yo!!! Looking forward to pics later. Also, where do you hail from? I always like to know climates people live in that are building and finishing ponds in what is my winter!

Reaction score
Darn it, can't upload pics from my phone. Did some research and my pond is about 3000 gals, not 5000. Also, I will just use a ball valvane and control the flow.I think my pump is too big, 6500 gph, sucker runs at like 750 watts! I went all out, I don't buy cheap stuff

Reaction score
Also, I already bought the liner at 25x25, so now I ne get my pond as big as possible, while still making the liner fit, I looked at the kits, then bought the pieces separate, since I didn't need a lot of the extras. Just think I may have gone too big on pump

Reaction score
I am adding a bountiful amount of wild life, such as, turtles, fish ( goldfish, a large mouth bass or two) and obviously a good amount of plants.

Oh, and I'm in southern Arizona. Sierra Vista, to be exact.

Reaction score
the pics.................slow day at work, lol

never learned how to embed, sorry for the attachments.

Attachments

• pond1.jpg
    pond1.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 317
  • pond2.jpg
    pond2.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 336
  • pond 3.jpg
    pond 3.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 315

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The large mouth bass will do a good job at keeping your goldfish population under control. Nice looking dig you have going there.

Ask a Question