New pond in sunny Arizona.....Suggestions?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I recommend two pumps, one to circulate at the bottom, directed at a dead spot in the pond, especially if you have a rock somewhere. The other several inches above bottom for the filtration.
If your filter springs a leak or your waterfall diverts the flow away from the pond, the fish will not be left high and dry if you are away when this happens.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
you can put the pump in the deepest part of pond,or furthest point from where the water returns to pond. or place it where you like and run hose and prefilter(s) to the point(s) of the pond youd like the water to be pulled from. i use two of them to alieviate dead spots.

Reaction score
I am almost done with my pond in Phoenix. Its 18x13x3.5. I decided to go with a bottom drain and an external. The biggest difference is that if you stick a submersible in the bottom, the waste gets chewed up by the pump impeller and shot into your filter system in small pieces. With a drain the waste can flow to your filter in large clumps and allow for easier settlement.

Externals cost less to run than submersibles. That was another reason I went with a drain. My electric bill is high enough in the summer already.

Ask a Question