New Pond in the Works

Doctor mcboy

hes dead jim
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Well yes and no. We were in Santa Fe and winters can get cool to cold although the sun is warm and always shining it seems. Beautiful area of the country but water availability concerns us a lot plus home prices are crazy there with avg price at $500k now and a nice spot especially in the mountains around the city is likely $750k+. We still love Santa Fe and would go back. As for taxes, sure FL does not have State tax but that I believe is oversold big time. Reason is that FL is much more expensive than other States and these are some examples for us currently:

Real estate taxes - paid around $5400/yr in ME within walking distance of beach in Kennebunk, 3000sq ft house, four car garage all on 6.5 acres. Here in FL, small 1100sq ft house, on an island but not walking distance to beach, no garage on .75 acres, $5k. Also have to pay extra for garbage and recycle here, did not have to in Kennebunk.

Pet insurance - for one pup in ME it was $55/mth, here in FL it’s $104/mth.

Those are just some comparisons, I am sure there are others.
laurens county south carolina state tax on my house 2000 square foot 10 acres 500.00 dollars a year

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
dang whoever got your old house was LUCKY!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Car registration in FL you pay for the right to buy the tags, think it was 469 with the last car we registered, then you pay registration fees. Car insurance, we paid 900 every six months for two cars, rated pleasure, hardly driven, here in MD we pay 800 every six months for 6 cars. Same level of coverage. We pulled the cars from florida brought them to MD.
Our 1100 sq ft cost us around 4k in taxes, insurance is 1600, with a 5k deductible for hurricanes.

As for taxes, sure FL does not have State tax

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Ct car taxes 3 cars 2 baggers/motorcycles 40 rv three trailers almost 10,000 g in property tax . real estate tax over 2400 sf $ 7,000 one acre sales tax and income tax ..... get me the hell out of here .....................

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Ct car taxes 3 cars 2 baggers/motorcycles 40 rv three trailers almost 10,000 g in property tax . real estate tax over 2400 sf $ 7,000 one acre sales tax and income tax ..... get me the hell out of here .....................

Yeah, my sister lives in CT. From what I understand, because there's no toll roads anymore, you pay a fee on the value of each of your cars...every year! A big chunk of money! It's like you're paying sales tax but keeping your existing cars... every year! That's insane.

When I moved from Staten Island, NY to Mount Pocono, PA over 24 years ago, my car insurance decreased to less than half. The electric rates were less than half.

None of my pensions or Social Security is taxed by PA. I just pay the Feds.

Here in PA, I easily and quickly got my conceal carry permit. Forget about even thinking of owning a handgun within the 5 boroughs of NYC. When I lived there, I had to go to police plaza in downtown Manhattan, get finger printed and register each of my long guns and shotguns.

Believe me, PA is not perfect, but it has it's pluses.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Car registration in FL you pay for the right to buy the tags, think it was 469 with the last car we registered, then you pay registration fees. Car insurance, we paid 900 every six months for two cars, rated pleasure, hardly driven, here in MD we pay 800 every six months for 6 cars. Same level of coverage. We pulled the cars from florida brought them to MD.
Our 1100 sq ft cost us around 4k in taxes, insurance is 1600, with a 5k deductible for hurricanes.
Wow! I had no idea it was like that in Florida!

The next time I talk to my cousin down there, I'm going to ask him about that. I can't believe he's been paying so much all those years. He never mentioned it. Maybe he doesn't want to bring up the subject. Probably makes him sick!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Might be the part of FL he lives in, hubbies parents place, now ours, is down in high dollar delray beach.
Once you buy the tags, you never turn them in, move from car to car. We turned them in as we were pulling our cars from the state.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
In CT any snow birds register their cars in Florida much cheaper then here

Ask a Question