New pond owner in the SF east bay

pkv

Reaction score
Hi,

I bought a house with a 5000 gallon pond with ~30 koi - largest about 2 feet. Pond has a waterfall, an old bio filter, 3 40-watt UV lights and a fairly high gpm pump. I have replaced the UV lights and quartz sleezes a couple times. Water is still a bit green most of the time... I'm wondering if my filter is just too old...

Peter

Reaction score
Is the water actually green? Or is it string algae? And are you in the sun? How much do you feed your fish? Do you have a pre-filter that you clean and how often. What type of bio filter is it, and what type of materials are in the filter :)
Sorry for all of the questions, just helps us get a better picture of sorts. Do you have the measurements of the pond and fish? Do you have plants in the pond? Lol that should keep ya busy for now ;)

Oh BTW. WELCOME PETER! :wave:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I doubt if the filter is too old. Green water isn't usually caused by an a bad filter if your UV is working. Part of it could be how much sun you get and how many plants you have in the pond. A rule of thumb is try and cover about 2/3 of the surface area with shade such as lilies. I would think the 3 UV's should do the job. Do you know if the previous owners always had clear water? Is this something new to the pond? It could be that the GPM's are too high for the UVs and the exposure level isn't enough to kill off the algae. But if so, it should have always been happening.

Craig

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
xmaswelcomemug.gif
Peter

pkv

Reaction score
Is the water actually green? Or is it string algae? And are you in the sun? How much do you feed your fish? Do you have a pre-filter that you clean and how often. What type of bio filter is it, and what type of materials are in the filter :)
Sorry for all of the questions, just helps us get a better picture of sorts. Do you have the measurements of the pond and fish? Do you have plants in the pond? Lol that should keep ya busy for now ;)

Thanks Fishylove. I do have string aglae in the stream/waterfall where the fish can't reach it, but there is no string algae in the pond itself. There is sun on the pond, more in the summer but now that it is winter there are a bunch of trees that shade the pond. Haven't fed them for a couple weeks now and have gone from feeding daily to not feeding much at all in winter. Do have a basked that is a skimmer and clean it 2x per week. There is also a basket pre-filter just before the pump which i also clean 2x/week. I have no idea the brand of the filter - there is no name on it. it is 6' tall cylinder. about 2 feet diameter. I don't know anything about the materials in the filter... Water is pumped up from the bottom through and out the top, then the water goes through the 3 40watt uv lights.

Everything is at least 3 years old since i bought the house 2 years ago - i think the setup could be 10 or even more years old.

Pond is about 8' wide and 25' long and about 4' deep. fish range up to over 2 feet with 12 or so in the 2 foot size range and a bunch in the foot range...

Any ideas on whether bio filter material needs to be changed or replaced?

Reaction score
I do have string aglae in the stream/waterfall where the fish can't reach it, but there is no string algae in the pond itself.
Water is still a bit green most of the time...
I responded in another thread but there's more info here so I have a different idea.

Unfortunately "green" can mean different things. Very hard to know without seeing the water in person.

Here's what I'm going to base my guess on...Normally a pond with string algae doesn't have what most people call green water. Caused by single cell algae. This green can be from bright, almost lime green to dark forest green. But in all cases it's like paint. You can only see down a few inches, certainly can't see the bottom. UV is what kills this type of algae. Normally what people will say after 5-7 days is something like "wow I went out to the pond today and could see the bottom". If you can already see the bottom then the UV's, or the string algae, have done their job. Actaully, because of the string algae you can probably turn off the UV maybe forever.

The next type of "green" is more of a tint. Couple of causes.

One case is being able to see the bottom but the owner will say the pond appears green. This can be as simple as macro algae growing on the bottom and sides giving the an overall appearance of green. In this case you'd be able see the shadows of fish being cast onto the bottom. The water is actually clear, just appears green. Chemicals have to be used to change this type of issue.

Another case, maybe most likely here, in that in older ponds (2,3,5 years) there can just be an accumulation of suspended particles. If you look close, like nose to the water, if you can see little suspended flecks like finely ground pepper, it would be a suspended particle problem. Algae grows in and on the particles and the particles can block the UV so the algae isn't killed. Also, single cell algae form clumps called colonies to protect themselves from UV but normally sun UV. UV filters normally kill the algae before colonies can be formed. Dead organic particles can also reflect green from the bottom and sides adding to the appearance of green water. But really the color of the water is more of grayish green as most of the lack of clarity is caused by already dead matter. Whatever the specifics if you can see suspended particles a fabric filter, like quilt batting, can be effective as the particles are very large compared to single cell algae. Bead filters can be effective. But best imo is a sand and gravel filter because not only will it solve the current issue it will do a good job of removing smaller particles than the bead filter and long term that's good.

Unfortunately the differences in the cause is very subtle but the fixes different. I used to clean ponds for a short time and it was pretty easy to tell just from the shade of green what was going on, but its impossible to explain. The best I've come up with is "can you see the bottom" and if yes, then "can you see the shadows of fish on a sunny day". Plus knowing the age of the pond. A UV filter is most effective in new bright green algae blooms.

My suggestion is consider the UV thing I said in the other thread and think about adding a sand and gravel filter. The quilt batting filter can be tricky and is really can of hit and miss. Water changes can so help, but it takes a lot of them.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and koi produce a lot of waste so maybe the filter is not able to keep up .I add plants to my filters

Reaction score
Water bug has some very good suggestions, I would look into them. As addy mentioned plants, especially rushes, grasses and irises take/use a lot if the nutrients from the water that algae needs also, and will eventually starve the algae out. If your temp is moderate there ( ie no freezing) you could try these plants, the more plants the merrier :) or you could wait till spring, up to you. Colleen like flag iris for algae. I've never had a problem with "pea soup" algae as my small pond is in full shade, string algae only on the spill over spout, which isn't a problem gives it character lol. The larger pond 2400gal is in the sun till noon in the spring and summer and it too only has string algae on the walls of the pond and on the waterfall. There are lots of folks on here that don't like the string algae and use peroxide on it and scrub it off from time to time, but I like it, think it give the pond a natural look. It also has other benefits such as, koi eat it, it gives protection to fry and other baby critters and mine also lay their eggs in it, if it gets long enough. So as wb said there are ways to battle algae depending on the type. And lots on here swear by there bogs, for bio filtering and controlling algae also, I'll be finishing mine up this spring! :D So take your time, do some research, and consider the options that will work best for you. Oh by the way if you Do change any of the material in your bio filter, ( unless you have shut the filter down for the winter) if the filter is still running, don't change everything all at once, I would just start with what looked warn out first and wait a while to change anything else. Good luck

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
WELCOME! It sounds like you have a large fish load and will need lots of good sedges such as grasses and Irises, that will grow all year (in your area) and continue to clean pond in winter there too. With a very large fish load, such as you have, you will need to do water changes. Starting plants with so many large fish will be difficult as well. I would rock off a shallow area with large rocks and plant a marsh right in the pond if possible. If you can get large chunks of sedges that would be best, and just sit the chunk in the rocked off area and support it with rocks so fish can not get to it. It would be even better if you could create a bog filter of some kind and have that flow into the pond, that way those very large two foot koi won't be able to get to it at all. Extra filtration may be required as well.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I know the grasses helped my pond a lot this year and because I will be using a bigger filter next year that is oval I will be adding lots more plants ,plants make my fish happy :razz:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Love my Iris's, grasses and sedge's! Wait.......don't think I have any grasses in there but do have the sedge :razz:

Ask a Question