j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I just looked that plant up and boy they don't sell it as it is an invasive species on the bad list. New York has a big problem w/it in their water ways and it's in a lot of places back east. It's not here in Washington yet and the Dept of Ecology said that if it ever gets here it will grow like crazy and become a bad issue. It sure is pretty tho.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm beginning to think just about every plant that's sold commercially as a pond plant is an invasive species somewhere... probably why they are so easy to grow in ponds and are so popular!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just looked that plant up and boy they don't sell it as it is an invasive species on the bad list. New York has a big problem w/it in their water ways and it's in a lot of places back east. It's not here in Washington yet and the Dept of Ecology said that if it ever gets here it will grow like crazy and become a bad issue. It sure is pretty tho.
Thanks for the info! Hopefully they do grow fast, my pond needs more coverage but right now the leaves are dying so not sure if that’s because there are no fish yet and waste for them to feed off? Only been in a week

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm beginning to think just about every plant that's sold commercially as a pond plant is an invasive species somewhere... probably why they are so easy to grow in ponds and are so popular!
Are there any specific things I need to do for the plants to survive / grow?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Again,

I thought you may be able to share some wisdom :) I've had this pond for over a week with a solar w/pump. It wasn't doing so well so I've added a new pump which runs 24/7 1400lph.

I tested my water yesterday and noticed the ammonia and Ph had increased?? I've done a 25% water change and to my surprise noticed mosquito larvae have taken residency!!

I've tested the water again today and noticed the levels are still high - not dangerously high but still high enough to warrent a hold on adding fish.

What would you suggest? I've removed the plants for the time being, since adding them my water went green. Should I do another water change or leave it until the end of the week and see if the cycle improves now the pump is going 24/7?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You have no fish yet, right? not sure where the ammonia could be coming from with no fish. Have you tested the water you are adding to the pond? Liquid test kit or strips?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You have no fish yet, right? not sure where the ammonia could be coming from with no fish. Have you tested the water you are adding to the pond? Liquid test kit or strips?
The water added (luckily is fine - tested) and i'm using liquid tests - looks like a chemistry lab :)

I't all started to happen when I added the plants to the pond. Since taking them out and putting them in a bucket - the water went green (in the bucket) - picture attached. Also, the bottom of my liner has gone green.

Very sad, I was hoping to add fish this weekend but I doubt it would be safe to add a few goldfish now.

Levels were:

No2 (Nitrite) - 0.25
NH3 (Ammonia) - 0.2
pH - 8/9

IMG_3538.jpg

IMG_3539.jpg

IMG_3541.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well, I also can't guess why your showing an ammonia reading in a fish free pond - that's odd. But the plants should be in the pond - they are helping, not hurting. And remember, green water is only a problem for the viewer - fish won't mind and it's not an indication of the water quality. A healthy pond can be completely green.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well, I also can't guess why your showing an ammonia reading in a fish free pond - that's odd. But the plants should be in the pond - they are helping, not hurting. And remember, green water is only a problem for the viewer - fish won't mind and it's not an indication of the water quality. A healthy pond can be completely green.
I did add a pure pond bomb when I set the pond up as recommended by the aquarium shop. Not sure if that had anything to do with it possibly?

If it’s no better, I may do a dither 25% water change.

Thank you all for your comments

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Plants are your friends. They help clean up the water. I would put them back in.
I suspect that pond bomb thing was the source of your ammonia.
Your Ph worries me. 9 is kind of high. Do your partial water change and if you get the Ph down, add some cheap feeder goldfish.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Plants are your friends. They help clean up the water. I would put them back in.
I suspect that pond bomb thing was the source of your ammonia.
Your Ph worries me. 9 is kind of high. Do your partial water change and if you get the Ph down, add some cheap feeder goldfish.
Thank you. I’ve not re-potted them as they came in appropriate pots. Could the soil be the issue? As you can see from the pictures, the IRIS box has gone green within 2 days?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
A lot of people use pure clay kitty litter instead of soil. You just have to make sure there's no addatives. Only pure clay. The clay is also good for your water too.
It's also better to not contrict the plant's roots to a pot. More exposure to the water is better. You can use mesh pots or mesh bags. Some people plant directly on shelves without pots or bags. They hold the kitty litter in place with rocks.
I buy the mesh bags on Amazon. They come in different sizes and have a drawstring on top.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A lot of people use pure clay kitty litter instead of soil. You just have to make sure there's no addatives. Only pure clay. The clay is also good for your water too.
It's also better to not contrict the plant's roots to a pot. More exposure to the water is better. You can use mesh pots or mesh bags. Some people plant directly on shelves without pots or bags. They hold the kitty litter in place with rocks.
I buy the mesh bags on Amazon. They come in different sizes and have a drawstring on top.
Thank you, I’ve submerged them back into the pond. And, will look into the mesh bags! Great tip, thank you very much!

I’m fairly new to all this so want to get it right :) hopefully a water change will get the water right

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could you send me a link to the clay and bags?

Ask a Question