New Pond SOS - Pumps & Filtering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Everyone,

Thank you for taking the time to read my thread and to anyone who responds.

I've recently purchased a 50 gallon raised wooden pond to house 2-3 goldfish and to add some character to my garden (Picture attached). When purchasing, I was recommended to purchase the below Filter & Water pump (solar) however, the filter is submerged and is around 1-2 inches from the surface... I'm no expert (newbie actually) but I feel a filter should be deeper?

Filter: ecofilter 4000
Water Pump: Pondxpert solar shower 300 (pumps 300lph - when theirs sunlight)

What would you recommend?

I've recently planted some oxygenator plants and floaters to provide shade, along with iris (more to add) which will hopefully provide further natural filtration.

Although the fish are not housed, the water level seems to be excellent!

I'm worried that when the fish are housed, the filter media will not work effectively and the quality of water will rapidly reduce. Any advise would be welcomed!

Thanks in advance :)
IMG_3514.jpg
IMG_3521.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome @Ethan1991 - very cute pond!

By "water level" do you mean the water quality? The only way to truly now your water parameters is to get a good test kit. I'm not really familiar with your particular filter, but honestly for goldfish it's not all that critical. Aeration is more beneficial. I'm not sure a solar pump will keep the fountain going day and night, but it's worth a try!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome @Ethan1991 - very cute pond!

By "water level" do you mean the water quality? The only way to truly now your water parameters is to get a good test kit. I'm not really familiar with your particular filter, but honestly for goldfish it's not all that critical. Aeration is more beneficial. I'm not sure a solar pump will keep the fountain going day and night, but it's worth a try!

Thank your for your response. By water level, I meant it by the filter is the same height as the water. I’ve tested the water and all seems well thus far but I do not have fish yet

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Ah, gotcha!

I'd recommend you read up on the nitrogen cycle to help with your concerns about maintaining water quality with fish in the pond. One thing I will mention is that these small ponds can be harder to manage than larger ponds - even the smallest change can have a big impact. Like I said, with goldfish filtration isn't critical - a few plants will help more than your filter honestly, and it looks like you already have those in place! What's the floating plant?

A couple of fish will be about the maximum for a pond this size, but you will find that goldfish breed early and often - you mean need to find a place to re-home some in the future.

Reaction score
The depth of the filter shouldn't make a difference. The pump pumps the water through the filter no matter how deep the filter is. The only thing to watch for is that the water level doesn't drop and that you keep the filter mesh clean.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ah, gotcha!

I'd recommend you read up on the nitrogen cycle to help with your concerns about maintaining water quality with fish in the pond. One thing I will mention is that these small ponds can be harder to manage than larger ponds - even the smallest change can have a big impact. Like I said, with goldfish filtration isn't critical - a few plants will help more than your filter honestly, and it looks like you already have those in place! What's the floating plant?

A couple of fish will be about the maximum for a pond this size, but you will find that goldfish breed early and often - you mean need to find a place to re-home some in the future.
Thank you for the advise! Top Notch :)

The floats are called "Water Chestnut (Trapa natans)" (I think), I have Hornwart in there too and some potted Milfoil and an Iris.

I have a smaller filter coming this week and I've decided to install an outdoor plug - so the pump will be going 24/7. Hopefully the fish will be all one gender but happy for them to breed - an excuse to upgrade :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The depth of the filter shouldn't make a difference. The pump pumps the water through the filter no matter how deep the filter is. The only thing to watch for is that the water level doesn't drop and that you keep the filter mesh clean.
Thank you, I've purchased a smaller filter and will purchase additional plants :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yep, I second that approval!
And I really like the design of your water feature! Very creative. Very nice looking!
Those goldfish will reproduce for sure. All part of the fun.
Thank you :) I hope to learn from this and eventually build my own Koi pond. Any tips would be great :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
A lot of us started small, then got the pond "bug" and just had to build bigger!
The best I can suggest is to read through the many threads here on this forum. It's full of knowledgeable and most of all friendly people.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A lot of us started small, then got the pond "bug" and just had to build bigger!
The best I can suggest is to read through the many threads here on this forum. It's full of knowledgeable and most of all friendly people.
Thanks for the advice, will do!

Looking at the pictures, how would you install and overflow? I’ve been scratching my head trying to figure a way around the awkward shape

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
An overflow...if you don't want it to just let it flow over the top edge, the only thing I can think of would be to install a bulkhead fitting (with a very short piece of pipe screwed into it). Hide it toward the back and drill the hole as high up as possible. Just a small one would do. The smallest you can buy.
Maybe someone has a better idea...

Ask a Question