New pond syndrome

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I have read from several sources (on the Internet), I cannot reference though and it all could be wrong, that UV damages the nitrifying bacteria traveling in the water to colonize new surfaces.

This is quite true. In fact, Nitrifying bacteria do not like any light at all especially Nitrobacter which performs most efficiently in total darkness. This fact is most important when initial biofilm is being established. UV lights should not be used.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
See - there is always someone's that is worse! Try looking on craigslist for some plants. A lot of people are trying to get rid of extra pond plants now.
A brown tint to the water could be caused by tannins in the water created by oak leaves, pollen, peat washed in from the yard, mulch, caterpillar dung, or from potted plants put into pond. Tannins could also be caused by barley, which is added to the pond to control algae. Pollen turns brown when it begins to decay. I've also had this. :)

He did add some liquid barley extract! I haven't had many leaves yet but I did put the potted lillies in there that came with the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You got a filter? Whats the total pond gallons and pump gallon per hour?

That's a good question. The pond is 2,100 gallons. I bought it used. I'm going to have to investigate the filter and see if I can find manufacture info on it. All I know it's a biofilter and has 3 new bags of activated charcoal in it.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
He did add some liquid barley extract! I haven't had many leaves yet but I did put the potted lillies in there that came with the pond.
liquid barley will make the water brownish.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The most important thing is to get you and your husband on the same page. If he is not willing to accept that the pond will clear on it's own it's going to be a rough few weeks! If he's willing to read here, he will see that LOTS of people have been in the exact same place he is and with patience they got to the clear pond they were desiring. And as @addy1 said, if the brown tinted water is his concern, he's the one who created that!.The tannins will also clear - you guessed it - with some time.

Have you posted pictures? We love to see ponds!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
East side seirra's 4500' high desert. Gets to 20's some teens.
Country
United States
If he likes playing with a clear pond you could get a very fine filter pad. It'll clear the pond AND you'll get to clean it more often.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
Here is something else to consider, the algae is growing because it has nutrients to consume that are toxic to the fish and those nutrients are going to stay there until the biofilters cycle. You can get rid of the pea-soap algae with a UV light, but the pea-soup algae is what is keeping the string algae from taking over. String algae is next to impossible to get rid of, his OCD is going to sky-rocket if everything looks like it's covered in green mold!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Here is something else to consider, the algae is growing because it has nutrients to consume that are toxic to the fish and those nutrients are going to stay there until the biofilters cycle. You can get rid of the pea-soap algae with a UV light, but the pea-soup algae is what is keeping the string algae from taking over. String algae is next to impossible to get rid of, his OCD is going to sky-rocket if everything looks like it's covered in green mold!

Good point!

Ask a Question