New pond syndrome

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have only had my pond a few weeks. My levels are fine for ph, nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia. I am happy with my pond however my husband is freaking out because the water is green. I had expected this and understand it is part of the new pond process until my ecosystem is running strong. However he thinks it is an eyesore and basically we have created a giant mud puddle in our yard. I keep telling him it's natural for this to happen but patience is NOT his strong suit. Now after consulting some "pond pro" he is talking about buying a uv light. Is this a good or bad thing? I wanted to upkeep my pond with as few chemicals as possible and let nature takes it course. In the mean time, is there anything I can do to clear up the water and get him to settle down a little?!

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Just to add, the UV light will clear the pond, but will short circuit the base of the balanced ecosystem that is starting to establish itself. To me a UV light is an unecessary expenditure. Tell hubby, not having patience in the beginning will cause more problems down the road.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Just to add, the UV light will clear the pond, but will short circuit the base of the balanced ecosystem that is starting to establish itself. To me a UV light is an unecessary expenditure. Tell hubby, not having patience in the beginning will cause more problems down the road.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Show him this picture. My pond with an algae bloom and a couple of weeks later. No UV and no chemicals added. Just patience.
Adding more plants will help. Anacharis and Water Hyacinths work really well.
Comparison algae bloom - 2017 June 12, 16.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
Had the same experience this season with pond Rebuild as Cas. I don't have the before and after pics but tell your hubby patience is one of the best remedies for a green pond. Also the suggestion of plants is huge to compete with the algae although it's late in the season for your zone.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Had the same experience this season with pond Rebuild as Cas. I don't have the before and after pics but tell your hubby patience is one of the best remedies for a green pond. Also the suggestion of plants is huge to compete with the algae although it's late in the season for your zone.

This isn't probably a big pet of the problem. I only have a few waterlillies and some corkscrew in there because it's so late in the season.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Show him this picture. My pond with an algae bloom and a couple of weeks later. No UV and no chemicals added. Just patience.
Adding more plants will help. Anacharis and Water Hyacinths work really well.
View attachment 104359

My pond isn't even this green and he's freaking out. LOL Mine was green like pea soup but now it is more brown.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
My pond isn't even this green and he's freaking out.
See - there is always someone's that is worse! Try looking on craigslist for some plants. A lot of people are trying to get rid of extra pond plants now.
A brown tint to the water could be caused by tannins in the water created by oak leaves, pollen, peat washed in from the yard, mulch, caterpillar dung, or from potted plants put into pond. Tannins could also be caused by barley, which is added to the pond to control algae. Pollen turns brown when it begins to decay. I've also had this. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I'm going to argue that UV isn't inherently bad for the pond. Lots of really high end dedicated koi ponds use it. But it's not a cure-all, either. Your pond is probably just cycling--or it could (possibly) not have enough filtration (mechanical and bio). UV doesn't solve either of those issues.

If the water doesn't clear up after a week then you may want to investigate further but there's no need to rush right out and spend money on UV.

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I'm going to argue that UV isn't inherently bad for the pond. Lots of really high end dedicated koi ponds use it. But it's not a cure-all, either. Your pond is probably just cycling--or it could (possibly) not have enough filtration (mechanical and bio). UV doesn't solve either of those issues.

If the water doesn't clear up after a week then you may want to investigate further but there's no need to rush right out and spend money on UV.
I agree but UV can interfere or prolong in the nitrification cycling process. I think on average most people will say 6 weeks but there are a lot of factors that can shorten or lengthen the time needed and it isn't going to hurt the pond to delay adding UV.

Ask a Question