New pond syndrome

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi quick question
We’ve been running the pond we have which is 750 gallons with a 16000 oase filter and 10000 pump (4 small koi and 2 goldfish) for two 1/2 weeks Now.

I posted on here a week or so ago as water is mirky. See pic.

I’m just making sure that I’m doing the right thing leaving the pond to sort it’self out, as I’ve testEd the water quality and all the ammonia, ph, nitrite and nitrate readings are perfect.?

I’m assuming that it’s still mirky as the filter still hasn’t built up the good bacteria to get rid of the suspended particles, or the filter sponges pores are letting the small particles through.

Attachments

• 4B2996AE-1040-4720-AFFF-1A344D48A020.jpeg
    4B2996AE-1040-4720-AFFF-1A344D48A020.jpeg
    177.3 KB · Views: 96
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Murky water is often caused by dirt particles floating around in the water. New plants are an especially potent source of this, as their root systems haven't developed enough to prevent the mud they're living in from eroding into the water. Add koi rooting around in the mud for food, and you get murky water.

Small strands of beneficial algae will grow around the sides of the pond and capture the dust and dirt particles and anchor them down. The plants will eventually put up roots enough to help keep the soil in place. But this can take quite some time.

You could use polyfill quilt batting or an aquarium filter sock hooked up to a pump to capture the particles artificially and clear up the water, but how effective that will be will depend on how much your koi like rooting through the dirt. If they're constantly kicking up more pond substrate, you won't be very successful.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
More plants could help as well as some aeration from an air pump, but otherwise, as long as your water test are good and the fish seen healthy, just give it time.

That Blagdon test kit is interesting, but I assume is unique to the U.K. Can you tell us what the steps are for testing each one? I wonder how those results compare to the drops vs test strips?

And can you give us results in numbers rather instead of just saying they are OK. You should be at a point where your ammonia is increasing, and should be seeing an increase in your nitrite levels. I wouldn’t expect everything to be at “0” at this point.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
More plants could help as well as some aeration from an air pump, but otherwise, as long as your water test are good and the fish seen healthy, just give it time.

That Blagdon test kit is interesting, but I assume is unique to the U.K. Can you tell us what the steps are for testing each one? I wonder how those results compare to the drops vs test strips?

And can you give us results in numbers rather instead of just saying they are OK. You should be at a point where your ammonia is increasing, and should be seeing an increase in your nitrite levels. I wouldn’t expect everything to be at “0” at this point.

Yes my ph was 7.5 Approx
Ammonia 0.1 mg/l
Nitrite between 0 & 0.1mgl
Nitrate 5 mg/l

see how I got the results on attached pics

Attachments

• 7D6E7EA6-EC0C-4B51-83B1-B04A4C83CEEA.jpeg
    7D6E7EA6-EC0C-4B51-83B1-B04A4C83CEEA.jpeg
    239 KB · Views: 76
  • BD6A8CD2-73A9-4A68-98AA-7461BC2DCE13.jpeg
    BD6A8CD2-73A9-4A68-98AA-7461BC2DCE13.jpeg
    214.5 KB · Views: 70
  • ECBB76F3-FD13-45DD-B903-26AAFD5CDD46.jpeg
    ECBB76F3-FD13-45DD-B903-26AAFD5CDD46.jpeg
    197.9 KB · Views: 69
  • 05D4FECD-AA17-43AC-915B-82F6A7E5E33F.jpeg
    05D4FECD-AA17-43AC-915B-82F6A7E5E33F.jpeg
    161.2 KB · Views: 80
  • 18150E88-5155-4509-8184-3B689178CF77.jpeg
    18150E88-5155-4509-8184-3B689178CF77.jpeg
    196.3 KB · Views: 90

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@chris.eaton Thanks for sharing that info! That’s interesting and I would expect the results to be at least as accurate as the drop method — as long as the tablets stay sealed until use. The reason we were asking is that some people use test strips. They are easier to use, but are not as reliable as drop tests. Just out of curiosity, I wonder If anyone sells those kits over here....

I’m no expert, but your values look pretty good, even though the ammonia and nitrites are a little high. It looks like your pond has cycled, because the high nitrates are the end result of the nitrogen cycle, and they are expected to be higher. Just keep an eye on the other 2 and make sure they don’t go any higher. As your fish, especially the koi, grow larger, they will be producing more waste products, which means that your bio filter will have to work harder to keep up. You may soon find that your pond is too small.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
@chris.eaton Thanks for sharing that info! That’s interesting and I would expect the results to be at least as accurate as the drop method — as long as the tablets stay sealed until use. The reason we were asking is that some people use test strips. They are easier to use, but are not as reliable as drop tests. Just out of curiosity, I wonder If anyone sells those kits over here....

I’m no expert, but your values look pretty good, even though the ammonia and nitrites are a little high. It looks like your pond has cycled, because the high nitrates are the end result of the nitrogen cycle, and they are expected to be higher. Just keep an eye on the other 2 and make sure they don’t go any higher. As your fish, especially the koi, grow larger, they will be producing more waste products, which means that your bio filter will have to work harder to keep up. You may soon find that your pond is too small.

will do and thanks For the info. If it’s cycled id of expected it to clear but it’s still as cloudy as ever.

I might need to put a pre filter in or cover the pond plantsto stop the fish from churning anything up.

cheers chris

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We I’m pleased to say after weeks of waiting and a few tweaks with plants I finally seeing my pond clearing.
One of the main issues was the koi disturbing the pond soil in my plants. I rectified it by putting some filter sponge over the soil with some pond grit which has done the job nicely.
Also put a pair of women’s tights over my pump as a pre filter and this is working a great.

Attachments

• 18FCFB76-8DA8-436A-9D0D-3C8618579710.jpeg
    18FCFB76-8DA8-436A-9D0D-3C8618579710.jpeg
    84.2 KB · Views: 97

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Wow, that is a big difference! We really, really, appreciate it when members get back to us with an update! Thank you! I’m happy for you!

But, is it sexist to specify that you used....”women’s tights...” :rolleyes: :stop: ;) (Just kidding!)

Ask a Question