How to keep standing water out of old cement pond/waterfall in front yard

Reaction score
Country
United States
We are renting a property that has an empty cement pond/waterfall feature in the front yard. Its about 5 feet wide and a 1.5 feet deep. Removing the pond is not an option. My concern is standing water in the pond that attracts mosquitos/pests. I'm looking for a easy solution to TEMPORARILY cover or fill the pond that won't do any damage to keep water from collecting in it that isn't ugly like a typical waterproof tarp. I don't want it to detract from the look of the front yard. I was wondering if a big piece of slate/stone that is fit to cover it would work? If so, who would I hire to do that? I'm clueless with yard maintenance. This is our first house with a proper front yard. Thank you for any suggestions!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If your contemplating spending enough for a slate large enough and thick enough to span the pond why not just throw a small water fountain pump in it . If the water is moving there will be NO MOSQUITOS.I

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
jumping welcome.gif

duck.gif
@genniegoose
Why not just fill it w/sand and add plants that like to have their feet wet? Could even use pots of plants stuck down in the sand. I don't think skeeters can live in wet sand.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! Please post a picture for us — maybe that will help with suggestions.

I was going to say to drill some holes in it for drainage, but you said it is a rental property, so you probably can’t do that.

I like @j.w idea!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I like @j.w 's suggestion too - I can't resist an opportunity to experiment with plants in water :) I found several small hosta's in the markdown section recently for a buck. Guess it depends what your temp range is, but those would work in shallow water. I might also add a mosquito dunk if you don't want to run a pump to keep the water moving.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I like @j.w 's suggestion too - I can't resist an opportunity to experiment with plants in water :) I found several small hosta's in the markdown section recently for a buck. Guess it depends what your temp range is, but those would work in shallow water. I might also add a mosquito dunk if you don't want to run a pump to keep the water moving.
This pond fill could be a really fun project to do. You could add rocks or other things in there on top of the sand around the pots of plants/or plants just stuck in the sand and make it really interesting. I would have suggested gravel but think the skeeters might be able to find pockets of water to breed in there. Sand would be cheaper too I would think?

Ask a Question