New Pond upgrade

Reaction score
I have just upgraded my pond again (4th time) now is about 14 x 15 x 3.5 with 2 waterfalls (4' and lazy river) added 8 Koi, skimmer, lights plants etc...about 2,000 gallons??

is 8 Koi enought or too many...seems like they could use some friends

Reaction score
boogies1952 said:
I have just upgraded my pond again (4th time) now is about 14 x 15 x 3.5 with 2 waterfalls (4' and lazy river) added 8 Koi, skimmer, lights plants etc...about 2,000 gallons??

is 8 Koi enought or too many...seems like they could use some friends

From your dimensions 14 x 14 x 3.5, that comes out to just under 5,000 gallons. Fish stock really depends on many factors, not just pond size. A small pond with a large filtration system can hold more fish then a large pond with small filter system.

I believe it is 1" of fish per 50 gallons. Have to remember that koi do grow, so 10 5" koi will be the same as 3 15" koi.

Reaction score
have a skimmer and 2 bio filters...lillies...iris and others,,,4500 gph pump...maybe 3,000 gal ...not 5...8 Koi...8" standard and butterfly

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
boogies pond sounds nice... send us some pics. your pond can hold more koi...every one should read thier water meter before they fill the new pond...then you no what it holds

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Great Idea DrCase
Here is how I did it yesterday:
I just filled my pond addition. I used a 5 gallon bucket and timed the flow rate for 5 gallons. Without turning off the faucett, I started a stopwatch, placed the hose into the new pond and timed the fillup. When it was done the result was 600 gallons. Very close to the estimate before filling.

Reaction score
Dr Dave

I wasn't that smart....but using the common calculations I have about 3,000 gal. I have been monitoring some slight water loss for the last week. Could be spray from the waterfall, evaporation or a slow leak somewhere.

For a pond my size, how much water loss is considered normal and how much water should be added weekly...and does it need conditioner added?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Water loss varies from place to place depending on surface area, plants, aeriation, temperature and so on. 1" a week, I would consider normal, more if it is really hot.

There are no conditioners unless you are doing a large water change then dechlor is advisable.

There are a lot of gimmick additives, but in 40 years of ponds, I have never found a need for them.

Reaction score
about a week after filling the pond we got our first algae bloom....it was a sunny and warm weekend...I added the second application of microbe lift (beneficial bacteria) 6 oz, some pondzyme to help clear the water and a few days later 3/4 cup of Algae Fix. So far so good...my PH levels are right at 7.0....but might I be over doing things??

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
it will settle down ,just keep maintaining, send us some pics

Reaction score
Been buying Hikari Gold Koi food loically...any online sources of high quality Koi food...also what rice / vegetable combinations work well??

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Mu adult Koi love steamed rice. We also chop up various vegetables into small cubes. you have to experiment with what they will eat.

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip...will try it this weekend
looking to add water hyacinth and water lettuce plants to lillies, iris, and othe aquatics

so far...happy Koi and plants doing well

Reaction score
Dr Dave,

I talked to anothe 40 year Ponder over the weekend and got some advice I wanted to run by You. Regarding water changes...he suggested 3" every 10 days..and use the pond water to water your plants with..."they love it". Also, when adding water...don't leave the hose in the pond....use a sprayer and spray the water into the air...and into the pond to release the chlorine. He recomended a PH of 8.5 not 7.0 for Koi...what are your thoughts??

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
The amount you change varies from pond to pond and the conditions you set forth with feeding/overfeeding, proper biological filtering, circulation and so on.

A blanket statement of 3" is dangerous. If your pond was 4" deep, that would be 75%, on the other hand if your pond was 100" deep it would only be 3%.

25% of the total volume a week is fine and in some ponds necessary. Mine is so well controlled with the Koi population, plants and other factors that I no longer change mine that often. About once a month, I turn on my main waterfall and discharge about 25% out to the garden to purge the lines and flush the other filter. This water is great for watering your garden.

As for areation, you can never get too much and yes this will help relieve some of the chlorine from the water. Don't count on too much removal by this method since the chlorine is disolved into the water solution.

I prefer to keep my PH between 7.6 and 8.0 with 7.8 as the sweet spot.

Reaction score
Pond is 36" deep so 3" replacement is just under 10%. Added Microbe Lift again this weekend after 3 treatments of Algae fix. Going to try weekly Microbe Lift and water changes. Ordered a muk vac online...hooks up to the hose and discharges out a 10' hose for watering the garden during pond cleaning and water changes. Should help in keeping algae and sludge under control.

Ask a Question