New pond

Reaction score
Can anyone help I have a new pond everything with the water is ok as I've had it tested but I have 4 comon goldfish and 4 shabunkings they have been in the pond for 4 days but all of them are hiding at the bottom of the pond under the bridge I'm not sure if they have eaten as even when I feed they don't come out so I have just left the food in with them is this normal for these fish or is it a case of them getting use to the pond ? They all were Swiming around in the shop tank, but in the pond they all just stay at the bottom or can I get a more social fish that may be will help the rest come out many thanks

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
LOL andy, welcome. i put fish in my pond last year (it is a large pond) just saw them this year.............after the ice melted. They will hide until they get used to their environment, give them time.

welcomewagon-15.gif

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Make sure you don't throw in a lot of food in if they are not actively eating it. I have not fed mine yet, there is plenty in the pond for them to eat.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Welcome aboard, get all that uneaten food out of the pond, it's normal for new fish to be shy and scared. Give them time. Don't feed until they are actively looking for food. they won't starve but you can overload the system with food and kill them all.

Reaction score
Welcome to the site andycastle, and to answer your question,
Goldfish tend to take a week or two to get used to their new environment, to them you are a predator and so they hide. Eventually they will get hungry enough and come out looking for food and when one gets a bite they will all try and after a couple days they will realize that you provide food and will associate you with good things...I got my goldfish last year in the pond and they would never ever come up to eat even after I put the food in so I started walking away everytime I fed them for about a week and then I got a chair and I would sit a couple feet away from the pond and get closer everytime, now the fish will take food from my hand and I could put my hand all the way in the water and shake it and they will still stay around. And after they get used to you and trust you. every other fish you add will get used to you really really quickly
Good luck and take it slow

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yep agree talal, mine still run and hide, the 3-5 fish from last year, the new group of fish saw a few once yesterday, the rest are in the deep hiding.

We have our best luck seeing them from the house (with our slope we look down on the pond) can see them swimming around now and then (grab the binocs I see a fish lol)

Reaction score
Also, they tend to stay low in the pond and not be active if the water is cold. We had some strange weather here, exceptionally warm for the time of year for 2 weeks, water temp went up to 18C all the fish where very active, swimming around going up, and came to eat 3x day. Then the weather turned bitter cold again, water temp dropped from 18C to ~10C now, and they are all like glued to the bottom of the pond again.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Same thing happening here. My pond is deep and large and the water temperature is still swinging. It is 78 today, will be getting colder tomorrow as this cold front comes in, poor fish, they have no clue what time of year it is.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well that is the only way I can see them................darn things. Fish spy!

Reaction score
hahahaah i can only imagine walking by and seeing a lady hiding in her bedroom window spying on her pond with binoculars.....its a good thing you have no neighbours or people would suddenly stop walking by your house lol

Ask a Question