New to Forum

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
I completed my pond in August 2013. It is approximately 1500 gal including a waterfall that feeds a shallow 2 tiered stream. Max depth is 28 inches. I started with 4 comets to test the pond. I added 4 shubunkins in the spring of 2014. Currently there are 25+ fish , a couple frogs that found the pond many critters crawling around the water, snails and dragon flys. I thought there would only be gold fish in the pond. What a lesson I learned. The pond is planted with various bog plants hardy water lilies and a veggie filter in the waterfall tub with yellow flag iris. This has been an on going learning experience which lead me to this web site. I'm always looking to learn and look forward to searching through Garden Pond Forum.
Glenn

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
Thanks
First pic is from early May, other 2 are from Aug
_DSC0273.JPG _DSC0643.JPG _DSC0644.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
We like cat people we have three of our own @Gordo33 :cat:
Love the pond very nice indeed :cool:
Welcome to the forum from Plymouth UK :happy:

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
Thanks everyone
my house is like a small animal zoo 2 cats a dog 2 birds 2 aquariums , and 5 grandkids all under 3 that come and go:)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I wonder why you did not go deeper being in PA .But have to say it is a nice pond and plants always help pond water stay cleaner naturally .You may be a little over stocked soon if not now .They will get bigger and produce more waste .So you may want to prepare yourself for this .Hate to be the barer of bad news .:)You don't want to get into a bad situation so talk a friend into building a pond and you will share some of your fish with them .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
I wonder why you did not go deeper being in PA .But have to say it is a nice pond and plants always help pond water stay cleaner naturally .You may be a little over stocked soon if not now .They will get bigger and produce more waste .So you may want to prepare yourself for this .Hate to be the barer of bad news .:)You don't want to get into a bad situation so talk a friend into building a pond and you will share some of your fish with them .
When I was researching I was seeing 18" depth should be below freeze line and wasn't planning on stocking koi. Besides my back and shoulders said enough at 28". Thanks for the warning I'm hoping to give some away to a couple ponders that were having problems this year..or my grandkids will be getting gold fish bowls

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I went 4 feet and believe me it was no easy task doing it by myself so know what you mean .But i wanted to make sure the 2 koi I have that are over 2 feet long had room to roam .Plus my summers here can be hot and the deeper the water the cooler it will be .Right now I have 16 fish .But found 8 more babies and that was after I thought I gave all of them away .Sneaky devils .:);)

Ask a Question