new to the forum with a couple questions.

Reaction score
I live in a neighborhood too, granted its not next to a hospital lol and I have an acre behind my house. But busy streets and a 1/4 mile away is a shopping center :) trust us the frogs and everything else will find ya ;)
I've been keeping ponds for over 8 years and this year is the first year I have a pair of resident dragonflies :) I was so excited when I found one, he's small yet maybe 2in long, but he hung around for a week or so and then I saw him chasing another! They have been here a few weeks now. Dragonflies are Facinating!
I like your little pond, now you need a tall rush in a pot and some lower plants and you got a frog habitat :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Once you have water, critters will come running.............they love water.

Reaction score
I live in a neighborhood too, granted its not next to a hospital lol and I have an acre behind my house. But busy streets and a 1/4 mile away is a shopping center :) trust us the frogs and everything else will find ya ;)
I've been keeping ponds for over 8 years and this year is the first year I have a pair of resident dragonflies :) I was so excited when I found one, he's small yet maybe 2in long, but he hung around for a week or so and then I saw him chasing another! They have been here a few weeks now. Dragonflies are Facinating!
I like your little pond, now you need a tall rush in a pot and some lower plants and you got a frog habitat :)
haha i have about 4 to 6 dragonflies that i watch all the time this summer. so i guess that is a good sign?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Lol, Wendy, all I do is make sure there is water in the pond, ow it is a self sustaining little environment. We started out with just a few dragonflies, now tons of them, birds, frogs, neat water bugs, water spiders. The mosquitoes, flies, crickets don't have a chance.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I would like to think I live in a city too (small city), and frogs found me!

She likes to be in the nature pond (no running water, just plants and water).

If you are worried, go find some tadpoles from your area water way (try not to order them from ebay, I did last year and I got Cuban tree frog which is invasive, from the seller who dont know what he's selling)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5B
I have actually. One place can order them at 2.99 and Pet Supplies plus said they get them in with feeder fish in the spring. Do you guys believe it will be slim chance that the frogs will just find my pond and show up? Curious to know if anyone else has had luck this way in the type of area i live.

Don't discount American toads. Even in an urban setting, you're bound to find some in your yard one day. They don't live in the pond, but they do mate in it, and they have a wonderful "trill" for a mating call. I have some bull frogs where I live and some Greys tree frogs, but I know I can count on the toads paying a visit. My pond is full of toad tadpoles right now. My favorite to hear are the "spring peepers", but so far, they haven't come on to my property yet, but I'm with in earshot of them when they're singing their song. I count myself lucky. :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
hey, Welcome!! I live in an urban area. The very first night I built my pond a racoon showed up, but........frogs never found it until I introduced them myself several years later. Some of my neighbors have had frogs show up at their ponds but I think the frogs probably started by my pond first. I don't recommend bullfrog tadpoles. Bullfrogs get very large and will eat things that will make you unhappy!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'm in an urban area, as well, but on the fringe of some wooded & open areas with a small lake nearby. Somehow the frogs & toads find their way. I have a couple of resident Spotted Southern Leopard frogs that just showed up one day. They over-winter under the liner, as I've discovered, most of my frogs & toads seem to do.

All the tadpoles that have shown up over the last 3 springs have turned out to be toads. I never see them grow up, just as the tiny little baby toads, so no idea what they are. I always assumed they were the common [American?] toad, but when we have calling matches, the calls are identical to the Fowler's toad.

See, I'd never even heard of a Fowler's toad. Also, never heard of a Cope's Gray Tree frog, but we have one of them in residence, as well as a common green frog. And again, no idea how any of them found their way into our yard, but they did, so give it time. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a (10 - 15 degrees F)
Country
United States
Welcome! I have no frog advice, but.... guess who worked at Cedar Point for a summer during college? -->THIS GIRL!!<-- That was... I think 1996. Geez. Great park! Sandusky is beautiful.

Reaction score
A small update :)

baby frog.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome! I'm in Northeast Ohio near Cleveland so we are not too far from each other. I used to frequent Cedar Point when I was younger but not so much now. I don't like the crowds and the heat anymore.

I get toads at my pond but that's about it so far. I would love to see another type of frog show up at my pond.

Congrats on the new addition :D

Ask a Question