New to the site today need feeding advice

Reaction score
Hi

We had quite a few new koi this summer, is it advisable to break the koi pellets into tiny pieces to feed the fish? They are getting very large now. When is it advisable to feed them the "regular" size pellets?

Thanks!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They have fry food but I crumble the pellets up between my fingers and they eat that .I have also given mine flake food from walmart and shrimp food from walmart .Any pet stores carry food like this also ,but I would still crush up pellets to get them used to the same food as my other fish eat .

Reaction score
Thanks......the "baby" fish are quite large now, at least 6"......shouldn't we be able to feed them the regular pellets?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
well you live in a warmer place but we here have already started to feed our fish spring and fall diet food which is wheat germ and not sure there but I know addy has a house in Arizona so you may be able to ask her as she just got rid of the pond at her Arizona house .Here if the water temps hit 50 degrees we start feeding the wheat germ based food.oh and my fish like the floating sticks better and they don't sink to the bottom

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcomebee.gif
cckoi

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the group.

At 6 inches my goldfish are getting regular pellets. Watch the water temperature in dec, jan, feb, My arizona pond would drop to 45-50 degrees if yours does stop feeding the fish until it warms again. My arizona pond in the winter was shaded which kept it colder.

Reaction score
Welcome to the group.

At 6 inches my goldfish are getting regular pellets. Watch the water temperature in dec, jan, feb, My arizona pond would drop to 45-50 degrees if yours does stop feeding the fish until it warms again. My arizona pond in the winter was shaded which kept it colder.

Thanks.....we have had the pond and fish for 9 years now.......and my husband always fed regular pellets to the "babies" in the past......we purchased some fish last spring that were sick, consequently we lost some of our favorite ones......all is well now,, but he was being overly "protective" of the new ones (which incidentally were offspring of one of our favorite ones that died)....

Hope I can figure out how this group works, great info, thanks!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
easy to figure it out once you get used to going on the sight for awhile it gets easier .Just make sure you always have a tub of some sorts handy for a sick tank and have some solar salt handy to treat them and never introduce new fish straight into your pond .I use the sick tank to hold them for awhile and with plants I buy I use that also .You never know what is in plants these days

Reaction score
We purchased some chemicals recommended to us by someone, it took care of the fish, we actually lost only 2 of the "new" 8, but 3 of our 9 year olds....live and learn.....no more new fish, we have too many new ones that were spawned by our own fish......happy about that. We haven't had to purchase any plants since we had the pond put in.......so all is well now...thanks again!

Ask a Question