New to this group, but a major health problem

Reaction score
I've had my small 2 foot deep pond (preformed) for 6 or 7 years. Only have two fish; one "super" large koi and one smaller (by comparison) butterfly koi. I keep them outside over winter, no problems as I've been using a deicer.

My problem. This morning as I was leaving for work, I always walk by the pond to make sure there no birds have fallen in (it's happened twice) and just check the fish in general. I was almost to the pond when I seen a fish on the sand right outside of the pond. Didn't look anything like mine as it was very dark, just figured somehow I had one of those "ghost" fish that you never see. It was completely covered with sand, and must have been there for some time as it wasn't even trying to breath and upon picking it up, the sand that was stuck to it was dry. After holding it into the water and slightly helping the sand off, I seen it was actually one of my fish, the smaller butterly koi...dang. As I slowly wiped the sand off and held him under water, he SLOWLY started to breath...well, this went on for over an hour (now I was late for work). After about 2 1/2 hours he/she was breathing quite well (about a 200 percent emprovement...as I figured she was dead), but she could now finally swim, but not well. Swim some then float back to the top, she couldn't stay off her side, so of course, I kept helping her. Then I noticed the larger koi became very agressive towards her, pushing her (a lot and not gentle...sometimes almost out of the water) and actually sucking on her hard. My brother stated to try to find some type of separation...and some way to keep her from floating to the top (and partially out of water). I found a small animal crate I had (completely plastic) put a rock in the bottom to keep it down, put the butterfly koi in and lowered it and taking out the air. She was now under water even if she floated to the top and didn't have to keep trying to "right" herself...she could actually rest...and was no longer being picked on by the agressive one. Another factor, I usually clean 1/3 of the pond and the "very small" header pool shortly after winter but hadn't quite done it yet. Well, I finally went to work figuring that was all I could do. Well when I got home about 4 or 5 hours later, she was still alive...amazing! I opened the crate to check on her...still moving some, and still breathing, but still couldn't keep herself from going on her side). I cleaned the header pool and 1/3 of the water...now I'm just waiting.

Didn't realize how much they meant to me and how personal they had become until this. Anyone with experience in this area...and ideas? If she continues to live but can never swin right, then what? ANYONE's help would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Well, my fish made it through that first day, but by the next morning she was belly up. Could be many things, including some type of internal injury. Thanks

Ask a Question