new water

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Fill us in with more details to start.

How big/old of pond, fish stocking levels, plant population, where are you, what were the results of water tests, what is filtration/water circulation, I could go on...lol.

Welcome, btw.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The pond is 15x13x4.Its 10trs old and just put a new liner in last month.No plants and no fish yet.I am in SW Florida and my filtration is polyester fluff

Reaction score
Country
United States
The pond is 15x13x4.Its 10trs old and just put a new liner in last month.No plants and no fish yet.I am in SW Florida and my filtration is polyester fluff
SDC12130.JPG
SDC12131.JPG
SDC12132.JPG
SDC12130.JPG
SDC12131.JPG
SDC12132.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Great, thanks.:)

With a new liner, I would consider that to be a new pond. With green water I would consider your pond to be in the beginning stages of it's nitrification cycle and having the presence of ammonia. With you being in Florida, you have a strong probability of phosphate present in your source water which will lead to further string algae complications down the road.
I would suggest you test your water for ammonia, nitrite and phosphate and let us know the results.
You should consider a more sophisticated filtration setup depending on your water test results.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have been using the same filtration for 8yrs with crystal clear water and no dead fish.The problem started when the armadillos got in there and put holes in the liner.I put this new liner in from a koi store and that is when it started

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Regardless of it's history, a new liner means a new pond and Florida has had recent contaminations of it's aquifers.
Check your aquifer and test your water.
What material is the liner made of?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
green water = algae..

Algae needs food... ammonia and nitrates/phosphates.

Water has to come with it... City water must have a serious level of the above for it turn green after 1 day. I would check it.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Armadillos live in burrows. They are constantly digging new ones. If something gets in the way when they are digging they will dig through it....or try to. A part of the native fauna here in Florida along with the Florida gopher who also likes to dig burrows.
Look at the claws on this little fella---
images

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Wow! They are really equipped for digging! Are they indigenous to Florida?

Not really. The none-banded armadillo that we have in Florida is originally from Central and South America. Most are found in Texas but they can be found in any Southern state and have spread as far north as Indiana. No natural predators.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Check you city's EPA water quality report for their reported values. If your water came from the city, and there are no minerals present in their reports, the dissolved chemicals came from somewhere else. I don't know if that report includes phosphates.

New liner means new pond because you have lost all the algae and bacterial buildup on the liner surface, that means your bacterial colony has shrunk. Probably a good idea to measure nitrogen cycle chemicals weekly for a while.

Ask a Question