j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Well Zack, that video was much better and you started out nice and slow this time. The one you pm'd me last night made me dizzy in the dark, lol. Still you need to keep it really slow when you are moving from spot to spot all the time or we are going to get sea sick again. Your set up looks pretty good to me. Water seems to be flowing where you want it to go and if you have no leaks that is good. The foam will help keep all in place when you get it just the way you want it. Someone else will prolly add some good advice for you too.
Do you have a test kit for your water? When you can get some more plants that will be good also. The more the merrier.

Reaction score
j.w said:
Well Zack, that video was much better and you started out nice and slow this time. The one you pm'd me last night made me dizzy in the dark, lol. Still you need to keep it really slow when you are moving from spot to spot all the time or we are going to get sea sick again. Your set up looks pretty good to me. Water seems to be flowing where you want it to go and if you have no leaks that is good. The foam will help keep all in place when you get it just the way you want it. Someone else will prolly add some good advice for you too.
Do you have a test kit for your water? When you can get some more plants that will be good also. The more the merrier.
I don't check my water's pH, even though I should, and as you see I am having a invasive ivy ruin my pond ): I have water lillys, and thats about it.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Lot better video Zack, one thing I would suggest when you put in your real liner for the stream, make the stream a little deeper or bring the liner edges up a little. It looks pretty shallow, which makes it very easy to overflow with a slight blockage.

Your ponds look nice, do you have more than one fish? If only one maybe that is why it won't come out to feed.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Zack, I'm 100% dizzy and nauseated, but at least I can see what you were trying to post last night. You want suggestions I'll give you my honest opinion. What you do is your choice. First off, get a water test and check your water. Not knowing what your water is doing is like not going to school and trying to be a Dr. Your never going to learn what your fish need or what condition they are living in if you don't. It is our responsibility to to care for the water, this is the life support system your providing for your fish. Would you want to be stuck in a 4 x 4 room full of chlorine and cigarette smoke. NOPE none of us do we want to breath clean air and that's what your doing by not testing the water, Speaking of which, stirring up that gravel like that and making it go down to your fish, No wonder he doesn't want to come out, It has a lung/Gill full of sand and silt, He's probably trying to gasp for some clean water to breath. Filter needs to be much larger, I run bigger filters on my 30 gallon tank and 75 gallon tank. That might work for a couple of 3" fish in a 40 -50 gallon pond. Seriously, for that size pond your filter needs to be three or fout times more surface are for the bacteria to grow on. Now for the stream. The gravel in the stream is fine, but using it for a filter, not so good, it's going to cover with algae and get gunk in it, Every time you stir it up where is it going? Right down into the bottom pond, going to build up and your going to have green water issues, If you go to larger rock where the water can flow through the rocks you won't get that effect as bad and the rock WILL grow bacteria on it because the water can flow through and give good surface area for the bacteria to grown on, as it is now you get very limited bacteria growth and your forming a anaerobic place for bacteria to grow causing more problems than good, each time you stir it up your releasing all that sand silt and anaerobic bacteria right down to your fish which eventually will cause health issues and possibly fungal and bacteria problems with your fish. I would take the middle pond/body of water and fill that with as many plants as possible and still get good flow back out into the main pond, This will be 3-4 times the filtering that the canister is doing, It will help lower nitrates, give more bacteria surface are for growth and will greatly reduce the fine particles in the water, By doing this also the debris that would be caught in the stream will get caught there so you can periodically remove the plants and suck all the build up off the bottom there and out of the system, GREATLY improving the overall conditions in the pond.

Reaction score
fishin4cars said:
Zack, I'm 100% dizzy and nauseated, but at least I can see what you were trying to post last night. You want suggestions I'll give you my honest opinion. What you do is your choice. First off, get a water test and check your water. Not knowing what your water is doing is like not going to school and trying to be a Dr. Your never going to learn what your fish need or what condition they are living in if you don't. It is our responsibility to to care for the water, this is the life support system your providing for your fish. Would you want to be stuck in a 4 x 4 room full of chlorine and cigarette smoke. NOPE none of us do we want to breath clean air and that's what your doing by not testing the water, Speaking of which, stirring up that gravel like that and making it go down to your fish, No wonder he doesn't want to come out, It has a lung/Gill full of sand and silt, He's probably trying to gasp for some clean water to breath. Filter needs to be much larger, I run bigger filters on my 30 gallon tank and 75 gallon tank. That might work for a couple of 3" fish in a 40 -50 gallon pond. Seriously, for that size pond your filter needs to be three or fout times more surface are for the bacteria to grow on. Now for the stream. The gravel in the stream is fine, but using it for a filter, not so good, it's going to cover with algae and get gunk in it, Every time you stir it up where is it going? Right down into the bottom pond, going to build up and your going to have green water issues, If you go to larger rock where the water can flow through the rocks you won't get that effect as bad and the rock WILL grow bacteria on it because the water can flow through and give good surface area for the bacteria to grown on, as it is now you get very limited bacteria growth and your forming a anaerobic place for bacteria to grow causing more problems than good, each time you stir it up your releasing all that sand silt and anaerobic bacteria right down to your fish which eventually will cause health issues and possibly fungal and bacteria problems with your fish. I would take the middle pond/body of water and fill that with as many plants as possible and still get good flow back out into the main pond, This will be 3-4 times the filtering that the canister is doing, It will help lower nitrates, give more bacteria surface are for growth and will greatly reduce the fine particles in the water, By doing this also the debris that would be caught in the stream will get caught there so you can periodically remove the plants and suck all the build up off the bottom there and out of the system, GREATLY improving the overall conditions in the pond.

dear fishin, I can not hold my phone any steadier, also, the fish was not in the pond, I realized that after I recorded the video, as I am going to be cleaning out my pond (it's a must there is lots of dirt in the water from building that up) also, I will work on getting more plants for my pond, as I am going to be putting a large bio load onto my pond, when I add about 10 more goldies for about 11 goldies, which is my ponds cap I believe, and that's why I use that filter, for when I get to my ponds max load, it will help clean it out, I clean that filter on a weekly basis except for the Bio Balls, down in the bottom of it, and I greatly appreciate your feed back, it means a lot!

Reaction score
addy1 said:
Lot better video Zack, one thing I would suggest when you put in your real liner for the stream, make the stream a little deeper or bring the liner edges up a little. It looks pretty shallow, which makes it very easy to overflow with a slight blockage.

Your ponds look nice, do you have more than one fish? If only one maybe that is why it won't come out to feed.

It's one fish, for a 700 gallon pond, so I think he's got a lot of food to eat him self from bugs to whatever else the fish eat, when I add more fish I hope he'll come out, he survived being electrocuted by my old pump, killed all 13 of my goldies except for him, so he is very large, for my standards, atleast.. and I will be cleaning it out, and sucking out everything off the sides with a shop vac to make the pond completly clean, which then I will HAVE to feed him, because the food he loves the natural stuff won't come back fast enough, and when I clean it, I hope to get more goldies so they can settle in before summer. thanks for the feedback! and I will widen it out, but thats as deep as it goes, I can make the walls bigger, but thats about it, again thanks alot!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
don't suck everything off the sides, your pond will have to go through the new pond cycle stuff again. That is good algae. Just clean muck out of the bottom. They do good having natural foods to eat, bugs, algae, etc. Get the new fish settled before winter comes.

You don't need to make your stream wider, just raise the sides a little so it is not as flat.

Reaction score
addy1 said:
don't suck everything off the sides, your pond will have to go through the new pond cycle stuff again. That is good algae. Just clean muck out of the bottom. They do good having natural foods to eat, bugs, algae, etc. Get the new fish settled before winter comes.

You don't need to make your stream wider, just raise the sides a little so it is not as flat.

thanks for the feedback, the sides are about 5 inches off, so I will raise it, also I will not suck the sides off, i usually have no algea on the side, because I have a hard plastic liner, it doesn't stick very well, and I have bout 3 inches of much at the bottom, I can't wait to clean my pond out, also I need to post pictures, because I think my goldie can hurt the 5 dollar koi you get at pets mart, he's quite large like I said before.. I will have to take pictures though! thankyou everyone for imput, it means ALOT.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Glad to help zack, just get the muck off the bottom, leave whatever is on the sides alone.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep Zack you may not see anything on the sides but there is good stuff living there providing quality beneficial bacteria to your fish and water :cool:

Reaction score
j.w said:
Yep Zack you may not see anything on the sides but there is good stuff living there providing quality beneficial bacteria to your fish and water :regular_waving_emot

thankyou, and I don't think we are in a position to get a water tester (on the side note totally off subject) because no one in my house hold has a job, and I didn't get a summer job this summer, I might sell my airsoft gun to be able to buy stuff for my pond, though, I am not sue yet, and thanks, I usually suck it all off, but I will just clean the mucky bottom, thanks to addy also. and j.w I need to get a picture of my goldie for you!!

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Zack, Aquarium Pharmiciticals sells strip type test for fresh water for about $12. They aren't the most accurate but at least accurate enough for you to get a good idea what your water is doing and will help you greatly in understanding what is going on and what to do if something starts happening. Remember, learning the hobby isn't just throwing a fish in a water hole and keeping it alive. It's a balance of nature.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
ZackThePondMaster said:
thankyou, and I don't think we are in a position to get a water tester (on the side note totally off subject) because no one in my house hold has a job, and I didn't get a summer job this summer, I might sell my airsoft gun to be able to buy stuff for my pond, though, I am not sue yet, and thanks, I usually suck it all off, but I will just clean the mucky bottom, thanks to addy also. and j.w I need to get a picture of my goldie for you!!

pm me your address zack i have some test strips I am not using, can mail them to you.

Ask a Question