New waterfall construction in way!

Reaction score
Update video of us having the waterfall pretty much tore out, and what we're gonna be doing, I will have a video up of how many holes that liner had in it (alot) and yeah, new waterfall under way. Question: At home depot we saw Bath liner, for under the tub, and we were wondering would this be stronger than thick pond liner? or is pond liner still the way to go? thanks! -Zack

Ad

Advertisements

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Donor
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have bought the shower liner, bath liner, I think that would be a lot more expensive then a pond liner. It comes out to be a little less than a dollar a sq foot.
It is tough stuff though.

It is usually only 4 feet in width also, so you would have a lot of seaming to do.

If I were you I would stick with pond liner.

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
ZackThePondMaster said:
Update video of us having the waterfall pretty much tore out, and what we're gonna be doing, I will have a video up of how many holes that liner had in it (alot) and yeah, new waterfall under way. Question: At home depot we saw Bath liner, for under the tub, and we were wondering would this be stronger than thick pond liner? or is pond liner still the way to go? thanks! -Zack

The bath liner is not as flexible as the firestone 45mil liner IMO but it would work. But as mentioned it will cost more. I spent @$40 for a piece for my shower that was @ 4'x5'. My 25'X35' 45 mil liner was @$300 if I remember correctly.

Reaction score
The shower curtains are PVC if I remember. Will degrade over time. Also not as stretchy as epdm to compensate for settling.

Reaction score
KennethO said:
The shower curtains are PVC if I remember. Will degrade over time. Also not as stretchy as epdm to compensate for settling.

see, my only problem is my dad, being as old as he is, is in the "I don't care, we're doing it this way" kind of stage, and he wont be convinced we need pond liner, even if I bring up it might contain pvc..

Ad

Advertisements

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
ZackThePondMaster said:
see, my only problem is my dad, being as old as he is, is in the "I don't care, we're doing it this way" kind of stage, and he wont be convinced we need pond liner, even if I bring up it might contain pvc..

I would explain to him that it will cost you more, is not as flexible and that you would have to have a lot of seams depending on the size you plan to build increasing your chances for a leak.

Also when you shoot your video try not to move it from one point to the other so fast. Slow easy movement allows us to see all your hard work better. It takes some practice as I still have a long way to go when it comes to videos too.

Reaction score
taherrmann4 said:
I would explain to him that it will cost you more, is not as flexible and that you would have to have a lot of seams depending on the size you plan to build increasing your chances for a leak.

Also when you shoot your video try not to move it from one point to the other so fast. Slow easy movement allows us to see all your hard work better. It takes some practice as I still have a long way to go when it comes to videos too.

thanks for the tip, all this was recorded with my phone, and later I will be using my sisters 13 mega pixel camera for it. and, He's hard headed, and he just wont understand, and I don't want to piss hm off, because he will get MAD.

addy1

Donor
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Do some research, and just show him what you find out about how long different liners last, how strong they are etc.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Zack another suggestion I would try is to weigh out the pros and cons of using each. Maybe cut and paste some of these posts into a word document that backs up your decision on which to use. So now you have a list with your pros and cons and some documention from the forum now take this to him in and explain it to him why your opinion is to use one over the other. If he still wants to use the bath liner ask him why he feels that this would be the best route. Just keep the conversation going in a positive direction. Don't come off like a know it all.

Good luck.

Ad

Advertisements

addy1

Donor
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hey zack! Would love to help you with some of the problem areas you pointed out, but to be honest it is real hard to see what your issues are because it is so dark, your video and dark outside lol.

Love the sound, looks like you are getting it going. Looks like a very nice stream.

Film slowly each section and explain what the problem is and I will see if I can help, or some one else could help you.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
LOL, when I watched the video, I kind of felt like I had been to a head bangers ball, Or maybe a Rave, Never been to one but with the right music I think I got a good idea of what one would be like! LOL Slow down and take one during daylight. maybe some of us old folks can keep up and assist. LOL

Reaction score
fishin4cars said:
LOL, when I watched the video, I kind of felt like I had been to a head bangers ball, Or maybe a Rave, Never been to one but with the right music I think I got a good idea of what one would be like! LOL Slow down and take one during daylight. maybe some of us old folks can keep up and assist. LOL

LOL, if I am feeling up to it, after I take two advil and rest for a little, I will see how, if at all, land.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Well Zack, that video was much better and you started out nice and slow this time. The one you pm'd me last night made me dizzy in the dark, lol. Still you need to keep it really slow when you are moving from spot to spot all the time or we are going to get sea sick again. Your set up looks pretty good to me. Water seems to be flowing where you want it to go and if you have no leaks that is good. The foam will help keep all in place when you get it just the way you want it. Someone else will prolly add some good advice for you too.
Do you have a test kit for your water? When you can get some more plants that will be good also. The more the merrier.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
j.w said:
Well Zack, that video was much better and you started out nice and slow this time. The one you pm'd me last night made me dizzy in the dark, lol. Still you need to keep it really slow when you are moving from spot to spot all the time or we are going to get sea sick again. Your set up looks pretty good to me. Water seems to be flowing where you want it to go and if you have no leaks that is good. The foam will help keep all in place when you get it just the way you want it. Someone else will prolly add some good advice for you too.
Do you have a test kit for your water? When you can get some more plants that will be good also. The more the merrier.
I don't check my water's pH, even though I should, and as you see I am having a invasive ivy ruin my pond ): I have water lillys, and thats about it.

addy1

Donor
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Lot better video Zack, one thing I would suggest when you put in your real liner for the stream, make the stream a little deeper or bring the liner edges up a little. It looks pretty shallow, which makes it very easy to overflow with a slight blockage.

Your ponds look nice, do you have more than one fish? If only one maybe that is why it won't come out to feed.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Zack, I'm 100% dizzy and nauseated, but at least I can see what you were trying to post last night. You want suggestions I'll give you my honest opinion. What you do is your choice. First off, get a water test and check your water. Not knowing what your water is doing is like not going to school and trying to be a Dr. Your never going to learn what your fish need or what condition they are living in if you don't. It is our responsibility to to care for the water, this is the life support system your providing for your fish. Would you want to be stuck in a 4 x 4 room full of chlorine and cigarette smoke. NOPE none of us do we want to breath clean air and that's what your doing by not testing the water, Speaking of which, stirring up that gravel like that and making it go down to your fish, No wonder he doesn't want to come out, It has a lung/Gill full of sand and silt, He's probably trying to gasp for some clean water to breath. Filter needs to be much larger, I run bigger filters on my 30 gallon tank and 75 gallon tank. That might work for a couple of 3" fish in a 40 -50 gallon pond. Seriously, for that size pond your filter needs to be three or fout times more surface are for the bacteria to grow on. Now for the stream. The gravel in the stream is fine, but using it for a filter, not so good, it's going to cover with algae and get gunk in it, Every time you stir it up where is it going? Right down into the bottom pond, going to build up and your going to have green water issues, If you go to larger rock where the water can flow through the rocks you won't get that effect as bad and the rock WILL grow bacteria on it because the water can flow through and give good surface area for the bacteria to grown on, as it is now you get very limited bacteria growth and your forming a anaerobic place for bacteria to grow causing more problems than good, each time you stir it up your releasing all that sand silt and anaerobic bacteria right down to your fish which eventually will cause health issues and possibly fungal and bacteria problems with your fish. I would take the middle pond/body of water and fill that with as many plants as possible and still get good flow back out into the main pond, This will be 3-4 times the filtering that the canister is doing, It will help lower nitrates, give more bacteria surface are for growth and will greatly reduce the fine particles in the water, By doing this also the debris that would be caught in the stream will get caught there so you can periodically remove the plants and suck all the build up off the bottom there and out of the system, GREATLY improving the overall conditions in the pond.

Ad

Advertisements

Ask a Question