Newb bought house with 60,000 gallon koi pond.

Reaction score
I agree with Waterbug re; first, think about what kind of pond you want, and what you can afford and manage. The next step would be see just what's living in that pond, and of that, what would you want to keep? If there are any native species, you may want to contact your state dept. of wildlife for guidance re what to do with them. I live in Illinois, and here it's illegal to keep any native species as a pet or in captivity unless you have some special permit.

If you're a newbie, I suggest you start small.

Reaction score
It is against the law in most states to even transport live game fish, or of course keep them in a pond...unless you have a permit.

In AZ the permit is free, in CA it's about $60. Not sure about other states. Interestingly AZ's regulation doesn't specify the type of fish at all, or even limit to just fish for that matter. So in theory a permit would be required for a Water Garden here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5/6
Country
United States
It would be great to see what it looks like today and then when it's all done to compare. LOL sounds like I might be in a nursing home by then so work fast. I wish you lots of luck. Your pond is 59,938 gallons bigger than my dinky one. How many acres do you have?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It would be great to see what it looks like today and then when it's all done to compare. LOL sounds like I might be in a nursing home by then so work fast. I wish you lots of luck. Your pond is 59,938 gallons bigger than my dinky one. How many acres do you have?

Thread is a few years old. I don’t think the OP is around any more.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Too bad the thread was never finished. I really wanted to see the big pond.....

Yeah, nothing after 2 posts........! And no pictures at all. Maybe it became too overwhelming, but even that is good info to share with others. It helps to know as much about the pitfalls of a project like this as it does to see the final product.

@Jperkin, if you’re still out there....

Ask a Question