As long as we remain allies......:p

Always, especially in these dark times.
upload_2015-11-19_10-22-26.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
When you do try to sex them first Gavin get the ratio of male to female wrong and it will get very stressful for the females that could well lead to them suffering from stress, exhustion and being injured .
Myself I used to keep bristol shubunkins before switching to koi .
I take it your a firefighter yes ?
Did you ever hear of the Aircraft Carrier HMS Bulwark's major boiler room fire in 1980 just prior to us sailing from Philadephia in the US it bacame a hydrogen fire that took us and the US firefighters seven and a half hours to put out .
I used to work at the Chatham Naval base fire school and was due to join the Devon and Corwall fire service in 1983 but suffered what was a life changing motor bike crash .
Are you retained or regular by the way ?

Dave
What would you say is the best ratio male to female, I was told 1 male to 4 females.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Gavin
My first ship was HMS ArK Royal top photo then HMS Buwark bottom two your photo is of the wrong one mate :ROFLMAO:

Dave
1487772_10152026227862681_8084514454568758008_o.jpg

02_hms_bulwark_r08.jpg

03_bulwark_r08.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I would think that 1 to 4 would work because he would not have the chance to really hurt one female bad .I have seen males kill females or injure them so bad that they never recover from it .But you may end up with more babies .Removing the eggs and getting rid of them will help there .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
A guy I work with was on the Ark Royal not sure of the dates, he left the navy and joined the fire service in 1989. Willie Armstrong, I think he was a helicopter engineer.
I was on there from 74-76 I worked as an HQ1 damage control watchkeeper whilst onboard her firefighting, pumping and flood control etc.
We would run keys to one of four section bases we had that where in reality mini HQ1's specific to that area of the ship, these were of all the compartments surounding any outbreak of a fire.
This was so boundry cooling teams could get started, whilst other teams would at the same time be fighting the acctual fire itself .
We also put our local fuel danger transfer warning as well as lox transfer warnings two bells then local fuel or lox danger no smoking naked lights in such a section of the ship to another section for an acctual incident rapid ringing of the bell fire fire fire warnings and directions to the scene.
We also manned the phones taking reports from the section bases,
We checked the BA's, fire fighting equipment fire extinguishers dry powder, foam and co2 to check they were in date and on top of that do rounds of the ship checking the levels of the bilges in the engine and boiler rooms once a watch.
Interestingly the Bulwark fire was the first time that AFFF was used in great quantities we ran out having just a pitiful amount of it onboard it was thanx to the US firefighters we could use more supplying the bulk of it.

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I would think that 1 to 4 would work because he would not have the chance to really hurt one female bad .I have seen males kill females or injure them so bad that they never recover from it .But you may end up with more babies .Removing the eggs and getting rid of them will help there .
I agree sissy sounds like a good ratio male to females :happy:

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
A guy I work with was on the Ark Royal not sure of the dates, he left the navy and joined the fire service in 1989. Willie Armstrong, I think he was a helicopter engineer.
Next time you see him tell him this old FISH HEAD TAS APE says hes a WAFU ..... :D

Dave

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Great job on the digging, I had to dig my ponds by hand too and I know how hard that can be. I never weighed the dirt or did the math but with a hole 15' x 21' and 3' deep I know I moved at leat a ton of dirt on each ;) Also as bad as it sounds, losing fish is just part of the hobby and although I have went through that several times it still sucks every time but don't take it too personally because after all you tried to give them a home much better than the cramped tanks the sellers keep em in. Welcome to the forum!

Ask a Question