Newbie from NJ

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Hi all :) I am new to ponds and water gardens but it has always been something that fascinates me.

Early this spring my husband and I bought my grandmom and grandpop's house. On the property there is a 1/4 acre pond that my grandpop used to keep fish in years ago. We had so many that we could go fishing in it. I also remember swimming in it as a child and even ice skating in the winter. The fish are long gone but we have a ton of bullfrogs and turtles in it right now. The pond was cleaned up this year since now we are living in this house... it looks good and i would love to have fish and some plants in it. I cannot tell you how many wheel barrels of leaves we have pulled up from the bottom since the beginning of 2012. Pretty gross.

Also, I just got an overwhelming interest of making a fish pond/water garden pond closer to the house- mainly so i can enjoy it as i look out my kitchen door. It is about 1300 to 1500 gallons and i have a waterfall (just added two days ago but still under construction) and a 4 in 1 filter/fountain on the other end of the pond. I currently have 2 small koi and 2 shubunkins in it. I may possibly add 1 or 2 more koi (I want a platinum colored one so badly).

My pond is not near finished but its getting there... today i need to go out and work on adding stone to my waterfall...basically its a basic frame and i need to hide the hose and sides/back by piling up slate.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
PINK-FLOWER-WELCOME.gif
leet13
The big pond sounds neat w/ the turtles and frogs in it. Wonder tho if you put fish in it if the heron will come and give you problems? I like the idea of the new one you have closer to the house w/ the fish in it so you can enjoy it up close and keep an eye on any critters easier. We would love to see pix of your place and ponds :razz:

Reaction score
welcome
leet13

were you looking to stock the one pond with bass or crappie or something along those lines for fishing? or having two koi/goldfish ponds?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome leet and hope you have lots of fun there as it is nice that it stayed in the family .You don't see that much anymore .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Hi all. My mom wants me to put tilapia in the big pond... dont you know, when i came home with my 2 koi and 2 shubunkin for the little pond, there was a heron at the big pond... and it was back the following day.

I dont know what to stock in the big pond. I am happy with the frogs and turtles. :)

Yep. got pics of the build on my cell.. still a work in progress. making a home depot trip today.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
oh... i was not planning on fishing out of the big pond if i do stock some fish-- my mom might be planning it though. We just got it cleaned up a bit so that one needs some more work.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
darn herons, beautiful birds, but geez go out to a wild pond!

welcome-1-1-1.gif
to our group

Reaction score
funny thing is all those nuisance predators are like good golly how lucky can i get when they find a stocked pond and no deterrents...

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
ahhh addy how do they know the difference in a wild pond and yours ,you post a sign and they know how to read ,arrow maybe :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
ahhh addy how do they know the difference in a wild pond and yours ,you post a sign and they know how to read ,arrow maybe :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

I have tried that, big sign, no eating allowed...............didn't work

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I guess when there is a free sushi bar they are not going to pass it up .It was a taste test and you passed the inspection .

Ask a Question