Newbie from Pennsylvania in need of emergency help

Reaction score
While searching for suggestions, I came across this forum. Built backyard pond last spring 2009 (approximately 26X18 and 3ft deep in shallow end and 5ft at deeper end). Placed 7 fish in late summer (4 kois and 3 shubumkins). They all survived the winter! We lost two later this spring 2010 as we had to take them out to make pond adjustments. I subsequently added 5 catfish, 6 kois, placed water lilies and hyacinths this summer and all was well. I have not seen catfish since they were added, and have counted 9 fish about 7" long (not sure how many of each koi and shubumkins). There have also been 30 new editions, yes babies! In October I donned my water boots and went in the pond (brrrrr) to cut off the foliage of the water lilies for winter prep. A week later, I noticed water level lowering. In another week I was sure there was a leek. Now the shallow end is only about 12-18 inches! HELP!!!!!!! Not sure it has reached its lowest level yet and it is getting colder and colder. Friend told me there is enough water for them to survive with a heater placed in the deep end. I am attached to all 9 and 30 and don't want to loose any! HELP. Sorry for such long initial thread but I am really anxious as the weather is against me.

Reaction score
I'm sure that help is on it's way, I just want you to know your plea is not unnoticed. Have you considered buying a TSC RubberMaid stock container and bringing them in for the winter?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. You need to provide more info about your pond construction and maybe a few photos to get the best advice we can give you.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Do you have a water fall / stream? they are known for losing water. Something may be blocking the flow causing a leak. Check your lines to your filters / pumps see if you have any wetness/leak around that should not be there.

and welcome

Reaction score
Pondmaster said:
I'm sure that help is on it's way, I just want you to know your plea is not unnoticed. Have you considered buying a TSC RubberMaid stock container and bringing them in for the winter?

Thanks Pondmaster,I did consider getting a large fish tank and overwintering them inside but I was told they would not survive as they already began their dormant period and I also was not looking forward to going in the cold pond to catch them all. But would they survive? How much water do they really need to survive outside?

Reaction score
Thanks Addy1, I turned off the waterfall yesterday. I haven't seen any unusual wetness around but will check agin tomorrow and also the filters and pumps as you suggest.

Reaction score
dawn said:
Pondmaster said:

Thanks Pondmaster,I did consider getting a large fish tank and overwintering them inside but I was told they would not survive as they already began their dormant period and I also was not looking forward to going in the cold pond to catch them all. But would they survive? How much water do they really need to survive outside?

They should not be hard to catch if your pond is drained down very low. If you do bring them in you will want to use as much existing pond water as possible. I don't believe it's to late to bring them in you just have to acclimate them slowly. I don't bring my fish in but Koiguy1969 and others do so they can confirm or negate this.

Reaction score
Thanks Dr Dave, I will try to figure out how to post pictures. The pond was created with PVC liner without plant shelves. There is a waterfall, a Pondmaster filter and pump for 4850 GPH. I live in the Poconos (we grow rocks) so a bit concerned that I may have stepped on an area and a rock came through. I am still hoping however that it's not at the bottom so that maybe I will be able to find the leak soon.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
PVC liners are not very forgiving. You should consider EPDM if you have to replace it. If you do and find the puncture location, leave the PVC liner in place, padd the offending rock and place the new EPDM liner over it.
Pocono is my favorite racetrack...

Reaction score
Replacement would have to be in the spring. What is your thought on bringing them indoors or can they survive in about 18" of water and a hard winter which is expected. Oh yes, the Poconos get really busy at race time.

Reaction score
How do I acclimate them. Do you mean like when you first buy them and leave them floating in plastic bags for a period of time?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
dawn said:
Replacement would have to be in the spring. What is your thought on bringing them indoors or can they survive in about 18" of water and a hard winter which is expected. Oh yes, the Poconos get really busy at race time.

18 inches is very shallow if your pond freezes over. It might be ok if you can keep a vent hole open.

If you are handy and have a basement, use Koiguys method and build an indoor pond with wood and liner.

Ask a Question