sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have 2 double plant ledges on 2 sides and a single plant ledge on 1 side .Up by the water fall is the only sloped side and why I did it there I don't know and should have changed it when I put the new liner in ,but did not think about it then .

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
SHW -- Welcome! You have come to the right place for advice :) . I, too, am planning a spring pond build, but my situation is somewhat unique in that the purpose for my pond is to provide a "watering hole" for my box turtles. It will be incorporated into their habitat. Uncharted territory, for the most part, because of the "turtle parameters" & other special considerations.

Back to, "you've come to the right place for advice...." Lots of varied experiences, and lots of creative input. Members here are great about thinking outside the box [or should I say, "hole-in-the-ground"], looking for ways to help. Good luck with your pond! I can't wait to get started on mine!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My pond is just an 8x6x18" and is a preformed pond. Wanted to do the other route with the sheeting but someone else here in the household didn't understand that lol so...now he realizes what I was talking about with our nebraska winters lol. A pond on the area you have chosen will look awesome! Just make sure like j.w. sissy, and addy stated that you have the area checked for pipes/wiring of any kind BEFORE you dig and you check with your city about having a pond in your front yard. Here we have our's in our fenced back yard so no big deal. Other than that read, read, read from past forums on here! There is ALOT of valuable information on here for sure! If in doubt ask or shoot your idea's on here and someone will know something (as it seem's we all live n learn in building a pond).
I got my rocks from my neighbor for nothing and many others from camping adventures. By the time it was all said and done I spent probably about 600 bucks on mine, but then of course you'll want plants, fountains possibly and pretties! I made my waterfall weir out of a heavy duty plastic drawer and my bio-filter is made from a rubbermaid tub/pvc pipe/batting and a furnace filter (green heavy stuff). All in all I had alot of fun building mine (but its small so) and while shopping for supplies remember bandaides and ben gay! lol I have pics on my profile that show how I put mine all together and so do alot of other folks on here (which is a blessing when one has no clue what to do first)! Good luck and take lots of pic's when you start on your project!!

Ask a Question